Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old Cougar had so much bodywork that needed done i decided to put my engine in a car with no body damage. The engine had run great in the old car. But, last year we had a week of cold weather, which we hardly ever get, and the freeze plugs blew out. Now that I've started it up it runs great, but is blowing oil out of the PCV valves, and there seems to be some water in the oil. There was a little white foam on the dipstick. It seems like it has excessive crank case pressure. Don't know if it's blown a head gasket, cracked the heads or the block, or a water jacket somewhere. Any ideas? Is it worth trying replacing just the head gaskets first since the engine isn't missing? Motor seems to run great, except for the oil spewing out of the breather.

·
Registered
156 Posts
How many miles on the engine? Were you running straight water or weak antifreeze? If you pull the heads you should replace the valve stem seals and clean them up. Have the heads checked for warpage and check the block deck. If they are OK I would also install new piston rings, assuming the cylinder bores are OK. If it got cold enough to pop the freeze plugs you really need to check for damage.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
There is something else going on here. Just because it was cold enough to push a welch plug, doesn't mean that it was cold enough to break the block. How cold is cold? I would try and change the oil and filter first, then see if the motor is still foaming out the breather. Is it possible the motor was more tired than you thought, before you swapped it out?
Other than the the cold portion, it sounds like you are ready for new rings, and probably an over bore/performance build up while you are at it.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Gotta a buck says cracked head. Been there done that on a post "frozen enough to push the freeze plugs out" motor. Not an absolute but the symptoms are identical and the small block head seems more freeze susceptible than the block is. I have seen 3 frozen motors with freeze plug pushing and 2 had cracked heads.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Gotta a buck says cracked head. Been there done that on a post "frozen enough to push the freeze plugs out" motor. Not an absolute but the symptoms are identical and the small block head seems more freeze susceptible than the block is. I have seen 3 frozen motors with freeze plug pushing and 2 had cracked heads.

i 2nd this, but i also am with the head gasket idea, my 92 tbird 5.0 got so hot it sucked the hoses and after that i had running issues and severe blowby caused by a blown head gasket and a warped head

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Agree - likely the heads - although if it's a clevo it could be the block. They are known for it under those conditions.

A whole week of cold weather! --JEESH how aweful LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts