Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacement starter from NAPA was one year old when slightly noisy condition became LOUD:uhoh:. Inspection revealed front edge of flexplate worn and one tooth missing. Replaced flexplate & paid more attention to starter installation:confused:. It turns out starter gear just barely clears the flexplate & tends to hang up in it on starting. Took starter back to NAPA & compared to another with identical P/N. Found that second starter had more of a recess behind the gear and therefore more of the shaft exposed. Installed new starter & was amazed at how quiet it was:). Lesson learned; pay more attention to detail on aftermarket parts. Best part of story was NAPA replaced starter at no charge:jump3:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I have no problem putting brushes in a starter. Currently I have the original 44 year old one. Would be wise to rebuild that one, and replace bendix or replace everything? Is there any apearance difference in the new ones?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first starter I removed was not the original, in fact it was stamped "American Motors". It had a dead short in it and NAPA offered rebuilt starter for $50. My point was that rebuilders are not necessarily careful with P/Ns and had I inspected the first starter more closely I might have avoided the mess I ended up in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts