Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
IMO since I have never attended, only observed from my living room couch, a combination of factors not all of which apply. (1) Freely flowing alcohol, (2) An attitude of "I want it and I will prevail since my bank account is bigger than your's is", (3) some very skilled auctioneers and (4) well trained bidding assistants who really know how to work bidders and whip the non-bidding crowd into a frenzy. I would also add one more which is just plain stupidity meaning more money than sense. A few years ago when the Hemi cars were bringing stupid money, 'ol Craig Jackson was standing up on the podium when a '70 Hemi Cuda rolled upon stage. Bidding went high, but apparently not high enough for his liking so he started his old "This is a mililion dollar car" rant. Makes me wonder what some of those buyers think when they go out into their garages today and look at their million dollar cars sitting there knowing full well that they are so upside down they'll never see anything close to a return on their investment if they bring them back to auction. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how one sees it), money spent or lost is not an issue for most of those people.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
"If you have the means, I highly recommend getting one." Ferris Bueller.

Looks like a very high level concours restoration. If it is all numbers matching, has all of the original sheetmetal, and the options match the Marti report. It was still too much money.

It's the B-J effect, gonna win and all of my friends are gonna see me on TV, and read about it in the publications - with color pictures!

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
It is all relative, to some people that is the equivalent of $209.00 to them, hardly worth concerning ones self over such a tiny sum.

·
Registered
136 Posts
As I see it, since the end of WW2, there's been the greatest accumulation of wealth in history. None of which has come my way might I add. But there are people out there that have more money than I can possibly comprehend. So $209,000 for anything is just simply no money at all. So far off their radar that the sum is hardly worth thinking about. And I guess that's O.K.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have often quipped, "that's an unfair distribution of wealth" while admirering someone elses gem. Now, it seems like the the President feels the same way. I was always kidding, I dont think he is though. Hate to say it, but BJ might be adding to the 99%ers frenzy. Personally, my hats off to anyone thats able to accumulate wealth with all the regulation that exists today. My bet is the post war wealth will soon disappear and the post baby boomers will have much more shallow pockets.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
It was just a matter of two people wanting an item regardless of it's real value. That can happen at an auction and usually does at B&J given the number of people there with money. For comparison look at Mitt Romney tax return. Do you think he would care if he over spent $150,000 for an item he had to have? I bet you $10,000 he wouldn't lol...

·
Registered
51 Posts
"Touché salesman!"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, I am the guy that restored and sold the Boss 302 for $209,000.00 at BJ, Wow what a rush. I can tell you that there were at least 6 very interested buyers on this car, 1 from Germany, 2 from Canada, 1 from oil rich North Dakota, the country singer Sheryl Crow and 1 mystery guy with 7 bidders passes (most probably phone or internet clients). This particular car was 1 of only 25 with the deluxe white interior, I don't know if that was the kicker. We were expecting $70 to $100K which should have been the market, never thought it would bring a new world record! I restored the car to a very high standard but not 100 point. Just goes to show you that very well done cars bring the highest prices, it also helps to have more than 2 interested buyers and a little luck!
look me up at www.coolcatz.com and my new site www.catzauto.com which is still under development but it is partially open.
Cheers
Tom Z.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Grats Tom. Was an awesome car and man there sure was some crazy money thrown around those last 3 days :) Glad you got paid man. Great job.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Lots of talk on the Boss 302 forum about your car. http://www.boss302.com/smf/index.php?topic=56737.60

Congrats on the sale. I was there and check out your car. For someone like myself that knows Boss car I agree it is not a 100 % correct car. But, from ten foot away and ignoring the fine detail it sure was pretty! Congrats on the sale and the money you got shocked all Boss 302 owners. Enjoy the fruits of your labor, and you would be welcomed on the Boss 302 forum if you care to comment.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Well Done Tom! What a rush it must have been once it got over 100,000. Way cool that you set a record.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
It looks like you guys have had some nice projects. Gotta love that rotessirie!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how high and mighty some folks get on their high horse when something they don't "approve" of throws their little fantasy world into a tizzy. That BOSS car had 8-9 different bidders on it and they all wanted it. It represented a lot of work and some of those guys have nothing better to say than "how dare they pay that much for a car that is obviously not as nice as my car". wow.

Wish people could just enjoy these old cars for what they are and have some friggin fun. These old muscle cars were built to be driven and driven hard. That's why I have 2 ;) so when I break one I can still have a back-up haha.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not to mention that it raises awareness and thus the value of future cougars, perhaps? I'm lovin it, bout time cougars gained a little respect in my opinion.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Good for you Tom! Trickle down economics baby! It proves again that hard work and taking on some risk--anyone can do great things in America. But I'm not sure the future will be the same way....

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I'm thinkin that selling that car was not just "fun". If Tom enjoyed building it ,even if just parts of the build, and then experienced this sale, imo, that is one fun time that flooring a big block pony car is not going to compare to.

To each his own on how they want to have fun with their stuff and CONGRATS, Tom.

There was apprx 10% production of cats in comparison to stangs. Using the same math puts the possible potential of buyers of stangs at 10 times the amount of possible cougar buyers.

·
Registered
936 Posts
In 1970, there were 190727 stangs and 72365 cougars, according to the registies I saw. This 3:1 ratio is a lot closer than I thought, because I would have believed even less than 10:1. Hopefully, as more really nice cougars make the national scene, the respect they should get for the more substantial car they are will increase.
I'm thinkin that selling that car was not just "fun". If Tom enjoyed building it ,even if just parts of the build, and then experienced this sale, imo, that is one fun time that flooring a big block pony car is not going to compare to.

To each his own on how they want to have fun with their stuff and CONGRATS, Tom.

There was apprx 10% production of cats in comparison to stangs. Using the same math puts the possible potential of buyers of stangs at 10 times the amount of possible cougar buyers.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
One of the bigger challenges Cougar owners face is that our cars are often sharked out for parts for Mustang restorations. Consoles, Disc brake setups.. Before the last 10 yaers of more available aftermarket equipment, I cant begin to tell you the horror stories of what happens to Cougar's when those crazy Mustang guys get hold of them for parts. :) I make a smiley because I am poking a little fun at Mustang guys (being a partial one myself) but in all seriousness man it was sad to see what happened to some real nice big block cats over the last 20 years. There is a story about a 70 428CJ convertable Cougar back in my hometown I can tell you sometime if you are bored, It does not have a happy ending :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts