Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of you guys probably drive f-150s around so I thought I would ask...
I just bought a 2004 Supercrew. Everything runs great, but maybe it just takes getting used to, or there is a problem with the transmission. Second gear stays a little longer than I think it should be. I can let up on the accelerator a bit and it switches to 3rd. If I am not doing hard accelerating, shouldn't it just shift through the gears normal without noticing anything? For example, I pull into traffic and it gets to second gear, I am already at 40mph and about to cruising speed and second gear is still there, so I let up and it goes to third. Should I have to do that everytime? Otherwise if I don't let up, it will switch to 3rd in a few seconds, maybe about 5 seconds. There is no roughness, no thump. Just a gear change that would be typical of the RPM drop you would get shifting gears at that speed. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That transmission holds second for a while due to the modulars needing RPMS to make power, but I don't think it should be holding for that long. I had a 99 Mustang GT that did the same thing, SOB would bounce off the rev limiter at WOT and would wait till 3500RPM to shift under normal circumstances. I always guessed it was TPS related.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My F 150 does the same thing but intermittantly. Seems like you let off the gas and 5 seconds later it shifts but bye then you are going to slow. It has been doing that for 70000 miles now.(100000 miles on truck) I went to two different trany shops and both of them said the bands or clutch disc are bad. I can't believe that. If the bands or disc wore out in 30000 miles how come 70000 miles later they aren't really worn out, or worse, I think it is some sensor or solinoid problem.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I JUST got the truck, so I'll wait on checking to see if its a band adjustment or computer thing. Its not annoying, but I just didn't know if it was normal. The important thing is the truck otherwise is in very good shape and I didn't have to spend 20k.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I JUST got the truck, so I'll wait on checking to see if its a band adjustment or computer thing. Its not annoying, but I just didn't know if it was normal. The important thing is the truck otherwise is in very good shape and I didn't have to spend 20k.
I doubt its band adjustment related because it would not affect shift points only shift quality. Since the trans is computer controlled I would say the delayed shift is by design, bad programing or bad sensor data. If it were me I'd find a Ford dealer with a good trans tech and see if you can pick his brain. Could be a simple flash of the PCM to fix the problem. I found a shift point chart for your truck, though the shift point range seems wide to me. Might help you out though.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Isn't that one an OD trans..? I'd smell the fluid and see if it's burnt just to be safe. Mine was fine for many years, but at 270,000 I've noticed it has started to slip if I'm under heavy acceleration it will jerk into third/4th, which it never used to do. Mine is a 5.4 4x4 though.....putting around town doesn't cause much trouble

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wonderwrench thanks for that. Bad69cat, The fluid and filter were changed before I bought it. Might not be any smell. But it isn't feeling rough or slipping, so it just may be a computer adjustment.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I just traded my 2004 and it did it also , I was thinking it was the speed sensor on the trans . If I was hitting it hard the trans would free wheel at over 3000 rpm I would have to shift out of OD or slow and shift down to engage trans . Only did it when hard running it .

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bluestang, I think you described mine perfectly. So maybe thats the way its supposed to be?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Huh? You wouldn't think so - I have pulled campers and trailers for many years behind mine and I can't say this problem existed until she hit about 230,000 or so...it does it now when I have no load, but under "normal" acceleration I don't notice it much. The way I figure it - it's gonna cost 1500+ now or when it shells out - so you may as well wait until she gives up the ghost.......the cost ain't gonna change much. I wonder if the shift points can be re-calibrated for higher mileage ones...? Might be enough to milk a bit more out of it huh?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just to let you all know, I rebuilt the transmission. 3rd and OD were on their way out the door...I lost both while I was on the highway a few weeks ago. Now its good as new and shifts like a mini van.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Should be good way past the motor and or body holding up then huh! I'm going to keep milking the 98 f150.....it's not a DD anymore so I bet I hit 300k. Might be fun to have a betting pool on that huh? LOL It's having an ocasional issue in the 2-3 shift I think - if I really get on it I can feel it. Maybe I should consider trading the old girl in - but I am in love with no car payments the last 10 years!! :>) Worth dropping in a new trans or motor to save the wallet. (the cab corners are getting pretty rotten now)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts