Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. This is my first post here, on behalf of my sister, the owner of a 2002 Merc Cougar. I myself am a Mustang guru so I'm not too up on the workings of a Cougar.

In short, when the car is in park, there is a heavy odor of either burnt oil or rubber coming from the heat/ac registers. The smell is generally only when the car is in park and has been idling for a while. There is no noticeable odor or smoke coming from under the hood so I am a bit stumped. I figured if it were heater core, it would be burning anti-freeze and smoke (as in past heater core incident's ive heard). So I'm a bit stumped and thought I would head over here for some assistance. Thanks for anything you guys have for a suggestion in advance.

Brandon

·
Registered
389 Posts
well this forum is for classic cougars...not the FWD econobox things.

·
I thought I changed this?
1,213 Posts
Pretty much this, I'm afraid.

This site largely deals with the 67-73 Cougars, so you may be asking the wrong people.
I think there is a site for the
FWD econobox things.
but I'm sorry, I don't have a link to it.

If it's any help, in europe, we have the Ford Mondeo, you did get it in the US, but I can't remember what it was badged as there, I think it might have been a Taurus ? Mercury had an equivalent version too. They smashed one up in Jackass' "rental car demolition derby"

Anyways, they had a tendency for the wiring to start melting around the potentiometer for the blower fan.
It would be a kinda rubbery, kinda fishy smell, IDK if the New Cougar's have the same design, maybe worth a look.

If not, have a Google for the site dealing with the newer cars, maybe it's a common fault

well this forum is for classic cougars...not the FWD econobox things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts