Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as I know they have the same bolt pattern as a 69 Cougar. But what about backspacing? Is the wheel physically too big to fit in the front wheel wells (17x8s, 245/50/17s)? Will they even work because of my all drum brakes, where a Bullitt is all disc? Any help you all can give is appreciated. By the way, I finally got some digital pics of my car. I will post them for you all to see.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
lets see what i can give you as far as info---- the wheels will got be able to be just thrown on. the backspacing is too deep as far as i know. to put them on ( i was told ) that you need a spacer... and some longer wheel studs as well. they said that the wheel lips also need to be rolled for them to clear. at least on the front. thats all i know at the moment, but i have seen them on some early Stangs at least, and they do look really good. go for it. i want to as well, but my dog dishes are the look that i want for the moment.

·
Registered
429 Posts
cutting it close

(17x8s, 245/50/17s)

I don't know what the backspacing is on the new mustang tires but I do know that w/ those tires you really can't run anything deeper than 4.5" and you are cutting it close at that.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
whooahhh... killler.... too bad i dont have enough cash to drop on that right now... DOH!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
How are those wheel adapters, I remember using some adapters on my VW Baja along time ago, and they kept coming loose. Just concerned about safety here :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
There are lots of rock crawlers running wheel spacers. You can't get any more abusive then that.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
My Baja was a rock crawler. I had CJ-7 rims and 31's on it :) and a 1600 DP, dual dellorto's, roof top oil cooler, etc. I had problems with the spacers, but that was 15 years ago or so, so they probably changed the design.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
yeah sorta :D I was 20 and it was my first car I built myself. That thing went everywhere. I wish I still had pictures of it, it was nasty looking for a bug. I'll see what I can do for pix, maybe my folks will have some laying around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts