Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone, i'm a little embarassed to jump like that in your forum for questions that will probably look very simple to you all, but please pardon my stupidity, this one needs some help that my local Ford retailer won't give me.

So you see I don't have any knowledge watsoever in mechanics, but i love racing. I did about 5 or 6 ammateur races on my local racetrack this summer with friends using My 2002 Cougar, Since I ended up being pretty good i decided to sign up for organised ammateur races next summer, but My cougar is not that impressive performance-wise so i wanted to get some help from ppl that knows their thing.

Now, its only ammateur races for fun so I decided I would only allow myself a 2000 $ Budget to perform those mods, I don't even know if its a lot or if its ridiculous, but its the max i can afford (My brand new Mazda 3 won't pay itself )

I already done some work to make it lighter : I handmade lighter and simpler bumpers, removed all the front and back seats (Its not that well done but result is there) and i replaced the doors with homemade fiberglass panes and I am thinking about replacing the hatch with fiberglass too, it won't work anymore but i don't care. This one i haven't done yet because i'm not sure if it will make the body too fragile, still thinking about that. Also I don't know yet the extend of what i've done because the front left wheel wont turn properly so i don't want to risk doing 0-100 kmh for now. (Its also winter and snowy road are not very safe)

So that's basically where I am now. Now the part I would need you for is telling me what other modifications (Mechanicalwise, ideally) I could make under 2000 $. And most of all is it worth it, or 2000 $ won't give me enough of a change to even bother ? If these are things I could do myself it would be even more of a blast.

As a second (And less important) question I would also know how to remove the Dashboard to acess the gauges electronics and where the computer is located. I already built and pre-programmed a data treating CPU that could display speed, RPM, drift factor, proximity, and trajectory warnings and other cool stuff (Using holographic AR display !) as well as integrate Launch control using the Cruise control interface, but to make it happen I need to locate and get to the car computer (And do extensive calibrating). This is way less important since its mostly just for my personal amusement and show (The vibrand Blue AR display is just gorgeous !)

So my query would look like that, i hope I didn't bother any of you with my projects and i hope furthermore that some of you will be able to help me with them ;)

Have a nice day !

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Not sure if anyone here is a FWD cougar expert. If there is they have kept pretty darn quiet.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Well if you want generic answers...OK.. Header & free flw exhaust,K&N air intake,Cam,Reprogamed computer, High flow injectors,Sticky tires,Maybe a Supercharger if its in the budget.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
I'd start by installing at least one front seat.

P.S. please post a picture of the homemade doors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
@Mopardon - Thx for the suggestions, even If I don't know half of the parts you mentioned. I was looking for a bit more practical and technical infos however since I don't want to just order 2 grands of parts and have them installed whitout knowing what I'm doing. Like I said, I know (Almost) nothing about mechanics -I still know basically how an engine and transmission works, i'm not THAT retard- As for the supercharger I though about it, but a friend of mine told me you needed to have your engine ''Forged'' before installing such a thing, and that it could cost like 5 grands to do so. Is that correct ?

@CJ750 - The Driver's seat is still there ;), And for the homemade doors, the car is currently in my backyard covered by a tarpaulin covered by about 4 foots of snow (I live in Québec) so i think you'll understand if I won't go trough the trouble of taking a picture ;). Anyway, they are basically just a sheet of fiberglass molded on the real door, It looks exactly the same exept whitout the window. I reused the hinges and the electric parts so From the outside you wouldnt see any difference. (but from the inside its damn ugly, still need some work)

PS - Sorry if I sound strange or stuff, I do my best but I still naturally speak French so my English may not be top notch.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
I ran a Paxton Supercharger on a 91 mustang GT with excellent results. Did nothing to the engine internals. If you were to go with alot of boost then your friend is correct in that you should spend some money on better internals but with the 4-5 pounds of boost a stock paxton produces you would just have to reprogram the puter, run premium fuel and maybe larger injectors.The people at Paxton should be better able to advise you there. My HP increase was about 40%. As far as spacific parts (Part numbers) you should find someone with a simular car that has some experience hot rodding it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right thanks, this is a lot more helpfull :) If you say a reasonable supercharger if doable i'll probably go with that and the parts you mentionned to make it work properly. now that i know a little more witch direction to go I won't look like a complete retard going to a performance shop. Thx again, I really though this project was a lost cause ;) And who knows, if it can't work out maybe the weight I stripped off from it will be enough to make it run better.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
In Basic terms, free-er flowing air into and out of the engine will help, but for the kind of amature racing I think you are talking about , (SCCA solo I or II?) suspension is where it's at. Better tires and shocks, and sway bars will be a HUGE gain for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Sorry I don't know wat SCCA mean XD For next summer the the event i'm planning to sign in is a 30 laps random starting grid. 100$ to get in and potentially 2000$ to win. its open to anyone that want to race. The only limitation is that the car must be less than 300HP. Its hosted by an old man who owns more cars than hairs, its not even sponsored.

As for what you proposed for the suspension, Considering the price (Speaking of it would it be possible to have an estimate ?) will it make that much of a difference or am I better just to keep my car like it is right now and enjoy the racing ? Thx for the tips btw.

Also, I had a look at the superchargers online, and the cheapest kit I could find priced at 2200$ without installation so I think I'll pass on this option finally ;)

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
SCCA= Sports Car Club of America. I'd recommend a CAT back exhaust and a Cold Air intake. Then find a way to upgrade the programing in the computer. Check out Super Chips web sight for a reprogrammer. May be able to find all 3 items through Summit Racing. This is a simple start that should cost less then 2K. It will not be earth shattering fast, but will wake it up a lot. I did this set of 3 items to my Ranger 4.0 for about $1200.00 including having the exhaust installed at a shop and welding the joints. The suspension I have no idea what would help with that. Good luck and post some pictures or the action.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It couldn't have been SCAA since I don't even live in the states :) As for all the suggestions thanks a lot everyone, you are all being very helpfull ! Have a very nice day. When the snow melts i'm going to take some pictures.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Aha, yeah my life insurance is alrite. But the doors don't support anything anyway. And the bumpars are as tough, just a bit smaller for the rear one and overall lighter. The metal bar that actually prevent the car from collapsing is still intact. And about SCAA, they actually support one of my local track, my bad, except this track is not useable anymore (hosted too many monster trucks) they're building another one next to it. The track well race on is private.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think you will find that a turbo kit will be more cost effective when it comes to $'s per HP. Although, if you boost power beyond the cars original design, your handling will actually get worse...especially during a race environment. Either way, bang for your buck is a turbo. You can get T4 turbo kits for your car for around +-$1000. It sounds like you have more issues with the car to address first though. The front left wheel won't turn well??? I'd get that looked at. Sounds like some serious damage...and damage to the front wheels is very bad in a front wheel drive car.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I agree with the above. You need to make the vehicle safe and relaible. If the wheel will not turn(rotate or right or left) you need to find out what thats about before you hurt yourself or someone else. I assumed you wanted to dragrace but you want to do a course. maybe getting the suspension dialed in as stated previously would be better suited at you limited budget. This will make the car safer and easier to drive which may make you a little quicker!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Slow is Smooth, Smooth is Fast. Ergo, Slow is Fast. ;)

Does it have the 2.0 L Zetec I4 or the 2.5 L Duratec V6? 5-speed MTX-75 manual or the 4-speed CD4E automatic transmission?

It is rare you have one of the ~500 I4 auto's.. So either way you've got a powerful package. The I4/5spd, or the V6/auto or 5spd.. HOWEVER your in the Under-300 group. I'd say a turbo, and a chip on the computer for more fueling (stock injectors are usually good for at least another %40). That alone would make this car an intense ride. Suspension on top of those power mods, and it would handle like it were on rails

1 - 20 of 20 Posts