Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 2000 with a 6 cyl 2.5 auto and all of a sudden the engine started running 4000 rmps at 70mph and stays that way. acts like it doesnt want to shift sometimes. it has all 3 new transmissions sensors on it. what could be the problem? can someone please help me, i know that if i dont get it fixed very soon i could possibly blow my motor if not my transmission could go out or both. please help.

thank you

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If it were mine, I would head for my TRUSTED shop. Might be a SIMPLE fix, so let someone with the equipment CHECK IT OUT. IMO

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
524 Posts
X2 with above post. I had a Hyundai Scoupe with trans problems. The owner had it to every shop before mine. I checked the minor suspects I could. I called a few guys in the transmission business and they knew the problem right away--throttle position sensor!! Appearently the oowner was going from shop to shop because he didnt believe it was the tps or didnt want to pay, it was expensive. Hyundai dealer even knew the car. The mechanic proved it by installing a used one and test driving the car-perfect, and only charged me 25.00 bucks-real good guy. I told the owner, he went out and bought a used, no more problems. Long story short-let the trans guys have a look-save you alot of time and money!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts