Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one know if I have a Flex fan and a 2" spacer will it work with a 2 row radiator and fan shroud. it is a 20" radiator. Fan measures 18 1/2" and the shroud measures 18 3/4" opening.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Exactly the combo I had in my 67 standard. I've since installed a three row, 20" radiator from WCCC, still with the flex fan & 2" spacer. Then I replaced the motor mounts. The new motor mounts sets the engine about 1/4 - 3/8 inch lower in the front. First time I accelerated the flex fan "ate" the bottom of the shroud (cheap repo anyway). I'm in process of shimming the mounts to re-center the fan in the shroud at which time I plan to buy the better repo. from WCCC. Also, I tried an elec. fan with no shroud, didn't work. That's why it's a hobby:bloated:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats great news. I bought a radiator local and told them I wanted a 3 row. but when I picked it and got it home it was only a 2 row. Called the parts store and they said they can not get a 3 row. Should I go ahead and use the 2 row til I put the AC back in it and then go to a 3 row?

·
Registered
97 Posts
My car had a two-row when I bought it, there also was much larger spacing between the cooling fins, I'd have to guess it was for a Mustang 6 cyl. It wouldn't keep the stock 289 cool. After some minor engine performance mods it was no good at all. Right now I have three row, 20" radiator, correct filler plates, flex fan and mostly complete shroud. the car runs at 190 deg. except when stopped in traffic, or at illegally high speeds:evil: I plan to replace the shroud and maybe change the thermostat before next summer.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well all I did it put the two row radiator and the flex fan with the fan shroud I got from WCCC. Took her out for a 100 mile ride with the wife and never got near getting hot. Hope it works next summer when its in the 90's here. We will have to wait and see. She never has had a shroud since I got the car. Boy what a difference it makes with a shroud.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts