Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had some pics sent to me of a cougar that is for sale....the owner thinks it's a 4 bbl but he isn't sure. The engine pic looks to me like it's a 2 bbl. Any way to tell just from looking at it? Pic attached. Btw, he says it's original and he did not have the VIN available when we spoke.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
kinda hard to tell from that picture.. Tell him to get a clue and take the air cleaner off ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I did tell him that....just not in those exact words....but does not look like the carb has a wide base, which is why I figured 2 bbl. And how someone could own a car for yrs and not know what it is befuddles me.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Looks like a 2....if he doesn't know, it makes me wonder what else he doesn't know about the car that you would want to know about?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
It's a 2bbl. Why? Because it has hood pins, blue battery cables and a chrome air cleaner. That's why.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Steel fuel line snaking over the distributor vacuum can, and then around/behind the distributor; then it looks like it transitions to rubber hose and then to the common screw-on fuel filter which theads into the front of an Autolite/Motorcraft 2100-2150.

My edjumacated guess: 2bbl.

EDIT: I could be wrong :D, so the owner really needs to pull the aircleaner lid for a picture. Hey - you could tell him to send you a new pic without the air cleaner; and you could tell him what it has.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts