Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I am sure this is bound to ruffle some feathers...but what the hell.

Anybody ever try to cram one of the 2.3 turbo engines from the 80's SVO Mustangs into a Cougar? I've seen it done on a '66 Mustang, and as far as I can tell it is very similar to swapping a 5.0 EFI into a Cougar, but with a lot more wiggle room.

If anybody has read Hot Rod this summer, you know that there was a '79 Mustang with a 1000 horsepower 2.3 T that got 25 mpg on the highway. I'd be happy with 400 hp and 30 mpg :)

I currently own a mean '69 Cougar, which I plan on giving to my pops. I love big engines, but I want to do something different yet daily-drivable. I think a '67 or '68 Cat, with its smaller profile and sleeker lines, would be a better candidate for this swap anyway.

What I want to know is, has anybody done this or thought about it? Am I committing heresy if I take a clean, engineless '68 and slap a 2.3 Litre badge on it?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Tom-foolery, yes, heresy.....don't think so.....:1poke:

Your car, your plan.....I say GFI, if that is what you want. Do it to a GT-E tho, and you might catch more flak....LOL.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Ford put 2.3 Turbos in the mid 1980's Cougars and Thunderbirds.

I, myself, have never considered that swap, nor would I contemplate the conversion.

In the last 25 years there must be a better, engine manufactured than the 2.3T to achieve your goal of economy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
yes , some one is putting a 2.3 turbo into a 1970 xr7 cougar convert.
so far the engine is in the car for mockup. this will be with a 5 speed stick.

i have had to make power steering mounts and motor/trans. mounts.
the hyd/clutch master cyl. is in the car as well as the ped.

the exaust and turbo will not fit to well in it's current location so i had to make a new turbo header to relocate the turbo so that it would fit between the shock towers. (this would not have been a problem with an automatic, but the a4ld is weak)
at this point i am at a stand still untill spring. ------ no heat in garage-----

and i still have to make an oil pan for the engine---(engine is rear sump-car needs front sump.)
the engine by its self looks very small in there untill i started to mount all the accy.
to my surprise the a/c pump and mount fit with no problms.

the thunderbird 2.3L engine is an inline 4 cyl with turbo, ported head, bigger cam, 42 lb/hr injectors, stock computer, and 5speed t5.

engine is all machined and ready to run.
i should have this running and driveable in late spring.

i have had this thought since 1988 when i bought a 88 turbo coupe brand new from ford.
now that it is 20 some years later i think i would look more to the six cyl turbo. at about 3.0 to 4.0 litre.
or the newer multi valve 4 cyls.

i went ahead with the turbo four because i have all the parts laying around from driving turbo coupes for all theses years.
i have owned a few of them.

i would like to have this done by next fall.......
hope that answers you question...

thanks mick parsons.

Reactions: HodgePodge

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
Seems like a clean fit with plenty of room to work on the engine even with the shock towers in place. As long as it provides enough umpf to put a smile on your face I say why not.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Only thing I would do is go to a more modern turbo design. Tech has come a LONG way since that engine debuted.
Bearings, cooling, impeller design, the whole nine yards.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have played with the bigger turbos, cams, and other computer systems on the 2.3.
i had a black turbo coupe that would get down the road, and do it very well.
the engine that i have in mind would be warmed over from stock.
i am setting 225-250 RWHP as a target hp.
i was going to build one up to 400hp but i found that you have to wind the snot out of them to get that hp level.
if ya want 400+ hp, get a v8 with a turbo......
not going to race this car but rather drive it cross country.

the turbo coupes are about 3500 -3600 lbs. and get up to 30 mpg hiway. so it should haul the cougar with no problems
there is allot of room to work on it in the cougar and i have allot of room up front which will be great for the intercooler.
an automatic might have been better to use.
that would have allowed me to move the engine farther forward to make up for the weight loss by going to the 4 cyl.

my biggest problem so far has been the turbo placement.
i have the header built but it still needs to go to the shop for plaining.
i will continue in the spring.

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
With the orignial weight of a 1968 Cougar at 3095 lbs and 210 HP I can see this car with a curb weight of around 2800 lbs. The added 30 or so HP should give you a bit more scoot then stock.

·
Registered
99 Posts
In the old days the SVO and Merkur XR4ti had that engine, and stock it was around 180 in the latter. I've heard of boosted engines getting up to 350-400 like you say, but those engines are built along time ago . I would go with something newer, trouble is most of the little engines are in front wheel drive cars. There maybe some new engines and turbos in the Focus to look at. Ford is supposed to come out with a new Focus RS in Europe which is stock at over 300hp and AWD. I think it would be easier to go EFI/5.0 myself.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
What Mick is telling us amongst the other good info on such a swap is that you are gonna need to have mad skills iff'n you are going to attempt this, mad fabbin' skills too.

So looks like an old "68Fastcat" has risen again and now come forth to fill the void left by same! :bloated:

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
So looks like an old "68Fastcat" has risen again and now come forth to fill the void left by same! :bloated:
How soon we forget..... that ye old Cougar351 preceeded 68 FastCat as someone with very lofty ideas that his skills couldn't fulfill. During the whole fastcat mutilaton, I often thought that these two characters were separated at birth.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
How soon we forget..... that ye old Cougar351 preceeded 68 FastCat as someone with very lofty ideas that his skills couldn't fulfill. During the whole fastcat mutilaton, I often thought that these two characters were separated at birth.
Me no forgety Lo Ho. Reference "an old "68Fastcat"". I was in fact referring to same in my cryptic post (apparently too cryptic!).

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Personally, I think ol' 68FastCat had some good ideas; just not willing to gather (or even accept) some knowledge on how to accomplish their goals. Mocking guys who were trying to help him out was his downfall.

I have a lot of BIG IDEAS on what I want to do with my Cougar; but am willing to shut up about it and quietly gather more information until I'm ready to "GIT 'ER DOOOOOONE" (copyright Larry the Cable Guy); at which time I'l throw stuff out there and ask for experienced help regarding how to execute the job.

I'm thinking Cougar351 has it right - he's asking for ideas/help now; not bragging to people about what he's gonna do with absolutely no clue how it's actually gonna happen.
Look at it this way, he's managed to find somebody 'hiding in the woodwork' (mickp) who already blazing (see below) the trail; and can tell him where some of the pitfalls are hiding.

EDIT: (This is "below"): Thanks Andy! I'll try to do something for you someday..... maybe talk craigster's brother-in-law into moving next door to you and telling everybody that you're his "special friend" :lol:

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
balzing the trail
Are you trying to say he's been teabagged by Mick?

I agree with what you're saying here. So far it's not so far out there. And stuff.

I'd still much prefer to use a Honda S2000 engine/trans or even something more wild like an RX7 turbo wankel setup to a 2.3. But, meh.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Are you trying to say he's been teabagged by Mick?

I agree with what you're saying here. So far it's not so far out there. And stuff.

I'd still much prefer to use a Honda S2000 engine/trans or even something more wild like an RX7 turbo wankel setup to a 2.3. But, meh.
Post edited and a reply left.

And I dare you to publicly "Embrace your Wankel-ing urges" on 351Cleveland-dot-net! :1poke:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts