Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be doing rear brakes on a friends 1999 V6 tomorrow to help him out.

ALL of my automotive experience is with imports. . .

I was wondering if anyone had any pointers in regards to common issues to run into, or specific tools that I might need/would help make the job easier.

Is there anything specific about this brake setup I might want to know before diving in?

Thanks in advance for any help!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Not sure on the 99's? SOme of them have disc's and once in awhile they require a special tool - which most parts stores will rentloan to you for little to nothing. If the caliper piston has a few little dimples/notches in it, that usually means it needs to be turned back in while pressing it - hence the special tool......other than that - easy job. IF it's drums, it's pretty straight forward, just do one side at a time in case you get confused you can use the other side as your guide if you forget what goes how!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Disk brakes.

If anyone should search and come across this in the future, other than the special compression tool, the only other item I found that some might not have is a Torx bit for the caliper mounting bracket.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Ahh - yep forgot about that - but a good quality torx set is money well spent this day and age! Sounds like you got it though....good dea;

1 - 4 of 4 Posts