Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just wanted to say it sure is easy to take a small job of replacing glo-plugs and turn it into a big job, pulling the head to get the very last glo-plug out! It is zero degrees out right now and I didn't want to tackle this without heat so took it to a pro. Actually is the best guy around, He told me half a day and he would have it fixed, no problem. At the end of the day I got a call, Bad news he said. After hearing about the glo-plugs breaking off on this forum i was kinda prepared. He told me that the very last one was swollen and would not come out. Couldn't put it back in either as the head had separated from the plug? The job went from four hours labor to well the book says 12 hours! I'll find out for sure tomorrow. He would have had it done today but the parts store he ordered the head gasket from received head bolts! not the gasket. This is going to be an expensive fix and the only spare money I had set aside was for my cats paint job. Still a lot cheaper than a new truck. will be I figure about three truck payments.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
1st, 7.3 di parts, only international or ford the rest are junk! especailly electronics. 2nd i have been in ford since 1995 and never heard of the glow plugs being such a problem under a valve cover like like that , the old idi 7.3's did but not the di's

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was a 7.3? all the other ones came out fine. Guy thought it was going to be a piece of cake however the one broke so that the tip of the electrode was still in there. it had swollen a little at least enough it would not come out so off came the head. It is all done now along with new gaskets on the fuel injectors. Hopefully it will last me another 14 years before i have to do it again! Need to keep my money freed up to put into the cat this summer.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
yes all the deisels in those generation are 7.3 l i hope so too , imo it is the best bodystyle truck

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Sucks you had to go through that. I was almost to the point of doing mine when I realized my glow plug relay had a crack in it. I could still hear it cycle so I assumed it was good, apparently not. I hope you don't have anymore troubles out of it. I have a friend that is still chasing cold sarting issues. he has done both the relay and plugs, but he still has to plug the truck up.

I keep going through crap with mine (fuel system electronics, fuel and water pumps, loads of other stuff), I just keep telling myself that just about everything that could possibly need to be replaced, has been, and I don't have a truck payment.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kinda of embarrassed to own up to this but one real simple cold starting issue I discovered a while back was dirty oil! or low oil!! Since the fuel injectors are actually powered by high pressure oil clean oil and the proper oil level are paramount to starting good. I learned this a few years back when I went way to long between oil changes. I park the truck most of the summer and ride the Harley. That is why my 97 only has 100 thousand on it! Bad part is that a lot of my driving is start and stop short runs of only a few miles. Not the best for a diesel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts