Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to get some answer for a few issues that my cougar is having. the main one is that it idels to high. when it is left in park, it will idle at around 2,200. when i put it in gear, it will drop to around 1,100.

it seems to almost be wanting to flood the engine at times. mileage is terrible at around 8MPG around town.

is there a fast idle solenoid? or is this an issue with the MAF?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I am hoping to get some answer for a few issues that my cougar is having. the main one is that it idels to high. when it is left in park, it will idle at around 2,200. when i put it in gear, it will drop to around 1,100.

it seems to almost be wanting to flood the engine at times. mileage is terrible at around 8MPG around town.

is there a fast idle solenoid? or is this an issue with the MAF?

I have 91 XR7 too. Maybe you should check the link below, a forum for Cougar & T-Bird of those years.
http://forums.tccoa.com/index.php
I've gotten lots of help there. Register and ask your question.
Other than that, I can't help. My 91 has been my daily driver since 1993. When you get this fixed, I'd like to know how you did it. I'll probably need to know it some day. Good luck.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
My guess: Bad idle air control solenoid/whatever or a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My guess: Bad idle air control solenoid/whatever or a vacuum leak.
idle air control solenoid.... where would this be located? i don't want to put a lot of money into this car, so if need be, i might just hit the scrapyard for parts.

other thing is, the tranny seems to have trouble downshifting unless you really punch it or manually shift. is this related to the air control?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i will try to give it a clean in the morning.

are there some easy mods for this car? stock to stock my camaro walks on this thing. i realize it's packing an extra 700lbs and a higher rearend, but i am hoping to pull beyond 200 hp from this 5.0 liter. i have heard the HO's can be tuned for decent power.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
If you're only getting 8 mpg, you got other issues besides a dirty idle air bypass. You should be getting between 16 to 20 mpg. Might have leaky injectors or bad O2 sensor. Take it to the local auto zone and have them plug in their scan tool and run it for codes. That will help pin point the problems. It's a free service...

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
If you're only getting 8 mpg, you got other issues besides a dirty idle air bypass. You should be getting between 16 to 20 mpg. Might have leaky injectors or bad O2 sensor. Take it to the local auto zone and have them plug in their scan tool and run it for codes. That will help pin point the problems. It's a free service...
they wont scan a non obd2 car or truck, they'll look at you with a dumb look on their face!

on my 89 when i had her , i was having idle issues with a bad stator and vaccumm leak

·
Registered
349 Posts
I recently had an issue with my '88 F150, ran horribly at idle and poor at speed, and obviously running way too rich. The EEC-IV wasn't kicking any related codes. Finally tested with a gauge on the fuel rail, had 50 PSI at idle, but it dropped to nothing within seconds after shutting off the engine. Replaced the fuel pressure regulator and all was good. Apparently was a ruptured diaphram that allowed additional fuel to get sucked in via the vacuum hose.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts