Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i recently got a 1977 Mercury Cougar i am not sure what size motor is in it?? are how powerful it may be. or what kind of cougar it is. It is Red with white Top. it's got all white leather inside. 175000 kilometers on it. the gaskets need ot be replaced but i am not sure what kind of cougar it is or if it is worth fixing up. i am 16 and want a good car to drive. would someone be able to tell me what kind of motor and cougar it is? or how to find out. i want to put dual tunnel ram and 2 edelbrock carbs with headers and exhaust but am not sure if the motor will put out a good HP. thank you if you want to email me to help me out my address is : [email protected] :eek2:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
a vin code would be nice, or pictures of it too so we can see. More then likely a 351M, and there not that good of a performance motor. But they can be built up pretty good if you really want to. There is adapters to put on a 351C intake (which means a tunnel ram could fit) but alot of performance parts are hard to come by. :)
Let us know the vin number and pictures and we'll be able to help.
Welcome to the site, nice to see a fellow Canadian on board.

Rick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok where would i find the VIN numbers? i thought this car would have a 351 windsor. but i guess not. are the 351M's big or small blocks?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
vin number is on the window (the metal tag for registering purposes). The 351M is more of a small block, kinda the same lines as a 351C, it has 2 barrel 351C heads but not as good. If its a winsor, it will have the thermostat on the intake, unlike a 351M where its on the block.

Rick

·
Registered
35 Posts
While the t-stat housing in the intake/block difference is correct I feel it might be a little easier for those new to Ford engines to count valve cover bolts. The Windsor engines (302/351) have 6 valve cover bolts per side. The 335 Series engines (351C/351M/400) have eight valve cover bolts.

If it is still there, and legible, after all these years there should be an orange sticker on the Left valve cover towards the front that gives tune-up info and engine displacement. This assumes of course that no one has previously changed the valve cover with one from another vehicle. After all the car is 25 years old and lotsa stuff can happen in that time.

As for durability I feel that a good condition T-Bird/Cougar of that period to be one of the more reliable vehicles you can get for the price. And when they do break the repair is about as cheap as you can get. Consider that last year my admittedly worn-out 90 Cougar required about $1800 in repair and maintenance and needs another $1500 just to be mechanically sound. I look back fondly at the last 78 Cougar I had that only needed a couple of hundred in tune-up work after a purchase price of $900 for me to drive it another 35,000mi. I then sold it to a friend wgho put another 20,000 on it and sold it to his father-in-law who put another 15,000 or so on it before the timing chain skipped at just over 200,000 miles in 1995 or so. By this time the body was looking kinda sad so it was scrapped. Unfortunately the distances in Texas are a bit long for a car without Overdrive and all the ones around here have been beat to death or I'd buy another one.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
yes the valve covers are a good way too, but there's probaly alot of crap on the engine he'd have to move around, and do the funky chicken with his head to count them all, easier to look at the thermostat and take a quick glance :)
Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts