Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is one of my first postings here but I have owned plenty of fords (pintos, 1970-73 mustangs, trucks and my cougar) But of all of there there is so little support for the big body cougar. body panels are almost impossible to find new and used that are in good shape...good luck there. This has been a issue since i have owned it the last 10 years and though I love it I am unsure what to do with it. My wife HATES the car as it seems like a old eyesore from a bygone era see would love to forget. The car is in good shape nice bumpers fenders great running engine and a daily driver, the bad would be paint and the landau top (I removed as it looks better not flopping in the wind) I want to keep it as it may one day in the year 3045 be a collectors kinda thing and worth more that the little sum I would have to sell it for now.

Stacy davies show GEARZ showed a store that had parts for it on the older cougar boss build but when I called they said there was not enough room in there lot so the CRUSHED THEM ALL!!!!! This hurts as a man trying to keep the old great cars alive to find NO support out in the world, engines yes transmissions yes all the drive train parts are easy but have a accident and you cannot get a replacement fender or light bezel.

This may sound like a rant and i guess in ways it is, What would you do? keep something that my not be fixable if wrecked, sell it off piece by piece so someone elses car can live longer? or sell it whole and cheap because noone love them anymore to purchase them for more than 900.00 in "there current state of repair"

I need to fix it to keep it and that's not cost effective realistically , but who ever said a hearts "feelings" where realistic?

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
The place that crushed all the 77-79 Cougars was West Coast Classic Cougar

The owner used to have a 77 Cougar Station Wagon

I'd fix it .. and start collecting some of the pristine models that come up on eBay regularly

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
The boxy mid-70's ocean liner craze wasn't very popular - and the colors were horrid IMO! LOL But, we need to keep a few around to remind us where we don't want to get back to;) Luckily they can be had for nothing more than a song! Makes for cheap trans!!

·
Registered
980 Posts
I feel your pain, but so many of the "Plus Size" cars just weren't what gear heads are looking for...mainly because of others' efforts at keeping them on the road and trying to pass it off as a cool machine....know what I mean Vern?

·
Registered
219 Posts
its would be alot chaeper to find a nice one some ware and get it shiped. my dads 1st car was 78 mark 5, he still has it and has bin putting money in it over the years as time and money allowed. he finaly relized it is not worth it anymore and is getting a real nice 77 that was in a musiem. he is paying 10 grand and when you think about its alot cheaper then restoreing his.

to give you an idea of cost i just put about 9 grand into my paint and body work on my cougar. then theres the motor trans glass vinly top wheels tires ..... i have around 20,000 into my car over the last 2 years and close to being done but it could still use some inteior work. i wish i would have just brought i nice original car, live and lear i gusse

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
LOL Jay.

Cammok, I think the experience you have gained in doing what you have is invaluable, but then this is the ECI talking, look at what I went through! Know what I mean, Vern?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
It would be a lot cheaper to find a nice one somewhere and get it shipped. My Dads 1st car was 78 MK V, he still has it and has been putting money in it over the years as time and money allowed. he finaly realized it is not worth it anymore and is getting a real nice 77 that was in a museum. He is paying 10 grand and when you think about, its a lot cheaper then restoring his.
Makes perfect sense to me. Cream puff examples of those cars (and others like them) can still be found for tons less money than the cost of a quicky paint/body restoration.

·
Registered
219 Posts
LOL Jay.

Cammok, I think the experience you have gained in doing what you have is invaluable, but then this is the ECI talking, look at what I went through! Know what I mean, Vern?
yea it has been alot of fun and also frustrateing at times. on the other hand doing a mid to late 70's would be hell just trying to get all the vac hose's in the right spot, pluss parts arent out there.
look at some of this guys cars http://www.mjcclassiccars.com/showroom.shtml

·
Registered
55 Posts
Its all in the person who owns them. Some people like them some dont if you like the car an want to fix it do it & dont worry what somebody else says.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Two things "hurt" the '74-'79 Cougars.....

The "fuel crisis", higher insurance premiums and new, stricter emissions control laws brought on the downfall of classis musclecars. This actually started with a vengeance in '72, got worse in '73; and by 1974, the "Big 3" automakers virtually gave up! As a result, a lot of beautiful engineering was thrown out the window to make room for the new standards.

Secondly (and here' where I say "Let the flames begin!"); 1974 was the year FoMoCo led the great "sea change" by dropping the old-but-reliable Falcon/Fairlane chassis altogether. Ford Torinos and Mercury Montegos had already moved to the "mid-size big-car" chassis.... My first car was a '73 Gran Torino, on that chassis, with a [/i]nearly identical powertrain to my present Cougar[/i] - the only change was that the Grannie had a 3:00 gearset in the 9", whereas the Cougar has a 2.78.
For 1973, the only cars still on the basic Falcon/Fairlane chassis were Mustang and Cougar. Mustang became the "Mustang II" -aka- "The Pinto-Stang". And Cougar moved into Montego's room. (Was there even a Montego in 1974? Have to look that up)
(short pause while I don my asbestos underware)
Ford and Mercury enthusiasts basically gave up. There were no new musclecars, period. And nobody has cared for what was left since. Including Cougar afficionados - no Cougars after 1973 were "worth it". The fact remains that what caused this malaise really started happening in 1972! The '73s, as built, were just as "doggie" as the '74s; they didn't have "it" - though hindsight and personal experience with the Grannie has proved to me that they could still get "it". It seems as though the loss of massive shocktowers in the engine compartment killed the "muscle-Cat" in everybodies minds. And that's sad.
Truthfully, going to the massive '71 chassis didn't help; even though they were very cool for the era. But the feeling of "no love" has been hanging around for some time for the 71-2-3 guys. Those cars just aren't 'cool enough'; even though they represented the last push in "muscle"; with Boss 429's in both Mustangs and Cougars, and the Boss 351 Mustang. Consequently, the "love" in the form of reproduction hard parts isn't there for us, either.

It's slowly turning around; WCCC is starting to re-pop some excellent (better than NOS) parts. I don't know if it will EVER get down to sheetmetal; but I can keep hoping.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had a '78 T-Bird that was low miles when I got it and put alot of highway miles on it. That is a good road car and I feel safe on the Interstate system in a large car. The other sister car is the LTD II which maybe the most desirable of the 3. But like it's already been said, if you like it, that's all that matters.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
"ocean liner", "plus size", LOL. I'd like to add "land yacht" to the list if I may... :buck:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Its all in the person who owns them. Some people like them some dont if you like the car an want to fix it do it & dont worry what somebody else says.
Kal is right, if "you" like it, it's all that matters and go with it....I feel your pain as I recently restomoded a '74 Mercury Montego, came with a 460 but now that engine is a powerful 534...lowered it with 17x11's and now it has a whole different personality. I'm also finishing a '79 Ranchero....talk about no love! sheesh, lol....It started with a 351M, and now a 429 Cobra Jet resides in that fat boy. Point is that you can get creative and make anything interesting and fun....IMO, that's what it's all about!
BTW, keep looking for fenders,I found a NOS fender at "Green Sales". They specialize in Ford NOS.
Go for it brother...LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts