Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've got an issue with my water pump (351 W). I developed a leak at the bottom of the pump and I had to replace both gaskets, have a plate between pump and block. After putting everything back together I still have the same leak in the same spot. As I was putting the gasket on the block I noticed a little vertical slit in the mating surface on the block. Now I am assuming that the pump bolts to the timing cover and not directly to the block. Is that slit supposed to be there and if so how am I supposed to close it up. BTW I put rtv sealant on the gaskets before installing and let everything sit for 26 hrs before refilling the coolant. Any help is greatly appreciated.

guy

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
It's the pump itself - if you would have paid very close attention to the area where the bearing is pressed in you would see that it's shot or walked out. They are designed to leak through the weep hole in the bottom once the bearing goes south on you.....cheaper then a idiot light I guess....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at the bearing area and I saw no sign of the bearing being shot. I did however notice that the plate was pitted and looked a little warped. this was after I took everything apart after the "test run". I figured it would be the pump or the plate. Gonna get a remaned one since money is tight at the moment.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Bet that fixes you up....not to expensive - just a PITA

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the pumpwas good, but the plate was pitted and warped. So the remaned pump and plate worked wonders no leaks any more and gave me a chance to clean up the engine a little bit. Now onto the upper control arm shaft bushings. Yay!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL - that will make the water pump job look like a walk in the park....good luck

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was figuring it would. Done water pumps many times before, now the upper control arm, different story. Will I need a special tool to remove and install the new bushings?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts