Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All!

Newbie on the forums here, thought Id start a thread entailing my contributions to the community! Im up north in Calgary Alberta, and since its a little cold up here to drive her year round my Cat is sitting in storage for the moment while I buy parts for an early spring tune up / rebuild. She's a 1974 Cougar XR7 in Deep Metallic Gold, with a 351C 2V, and a C4 / 9inch combo. White Leather bucket seats, console shift, and a Rim blow horn round out the package.

I have already signed up with the CCOA Database, and was told I have one of 3 Documented build sheets for 1974.

Since hearing alot of speculation on the level of gas prices, I did some research on a growing technology called Hydrogen Injection to see if I could in any way help with the disgusting fuel mileage that I have come to know and love out of our old V8's. As it goes a company called Alternative MPG have a fairly nice kit that can be installed on any vehicle injected or carb'd, and that it actually works better on a carb, due to the constant fuel/air mixtures that an injected engine cannot maintain. My friend is actually testing out one of there products right now and depending on what he has to say, I may just buy the same one.

I have a few other plans for the car in the future that include a full air bag suspension system, new paint job, and an engine rebuild, but those wont happen for a while as I am a full time student and could barely afford to pick up the car in the first place.

Alright enough talking, time for the pics!

I will try my best to update my build to this thread, as said above, I am a full time student, so I am only able to pick up parts and do the odd minor fix here and there, but I finish school in a couple months, and itll be full steam ahead from there on in!

Cheers!:wave:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Congrats on picking up the cat Batman! I have heard about H Injection, but have not followed up on any claims, please do report back on your friends results. Looks like your Cougar has a little rust to deal with, but the interior looks great, and overall a very complete car... Good luck as you finish school and dive deeper into your project.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha yeah, she's a little rough, body wise. Im just doing some follow up to see if I can pick up a parts car for panels, and strip it for anything else i can salvage. I need a door jam on the passenger side, the rust has pretty well eaten through. I have a couple of contacts that can help me to weld it in. Need a door skin and a fender too. the rear quarters above the wheels are eaten through, but thats not too bad, with the suspension i want to put in, im thinking of rolling the wells a little, just to fit the wheels when she's all the way down. other than that, a little TLC under the hood, take out some stuff, clean a few wires up, and she's good to go!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
haha yeah, she's a little rough, body wise!
^^ Sounds like my ex wife! LOL spoken like a true ECI though....I gotta feeling this is gonna be good

1 - 4 of 4 Posts