Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1973 XR7 Q code / 4spd / Sunroof / 26k orig miles / One Owner / Fully Loaded

8K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  blackcat429cj 
This must have been a custom order. Rare for a coupe. A lot of 73 converts well appointed. They along with the mustangs were snatched in the "last of the convertible craze"

Would definately have been special order as black was not offered as a color in 73 - Special order paint would have been required.

The Q code and 4spd combo with a sunroof really ad to this cars rarity! By 73 Many cougars were well equiped - AC/stereo/pw/tilt etc - were getting to be very common options as the cougar was well on its transition as a personal luxury vehicle.

Did that 71 Blue 429 xr7 4spd convert ever sell? Was in a museum. Remembered seeing it in mags back in the 80's.
has to be the nicest 71-3 on the planet. I think everyone could learn to love big cats with that one.
Which one - with 15 identical cars produced - several have actually been for sale.

I have read that the 73 is not the beast that is used to be. It only has 248 HP @ 5400 rpm where my M code 70 had 300 HP at 5400 rpm plus the 73 is a inch longer and probably a bit heavier.

Still with the CJ package and the originality of the car, not a bad investment and a fun car to own and drive.

This brings me to my next delima:
What do you do with a 26000 mile car that has been pampered all of it's life? It has to have a few hidden problems caused from lack of use. My position is that the car was built to be driven and thats the only way to work out the kinks. I have never wanted to own a trailer queen, but the originality and low miles is one of the things that make it special.

just my 2 c
As mopardon said about net vs gross horse power - net rating is taken I beleive at the wheels not the flywheel like gross hp - two very different rating systems.

71-3 cars have a bad rep but it is very undeserved! Probably the 1 biggest improvement made in 71 is the conversion to the saginaw PS box, and with a 73 4spd it will be a variable ratio unit, I beleive 3.5 turns lock to lock.

One of the latest trends in the collector car hobby is the return of unrestored cars - you can drive and enjoy the car and still maintain the originality. Please post pictures when you find them

The car is squeezed into the garage for the winter. A/C / heater box is out and the drivers door panel is off as the pw were not working correctly. Also, no battery in the car to check any of the electricals.

The black car in the background is a '63 "R" code 4 speed Galaxie with a red interior, that he bought as the second owner when it was only a few months old.

Dave - is the front bumper splash shield silver? I always wondered how those would have been painted?

Thats why the door mirror is chrome, the were prepainted in batches and then installed - with the special order paint the car was given a chrome mirror in place of the racing mirror, Similarly the maybe used a generic silver paint of the splash shields which also would have been painted seperately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.