Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This may just be the most desirable 73 Cougar coupe on the planet. Black, white leather and pretty much every option including Kelsey Hayes Wheels, Power Seat, AM-FM and so on. No dents, no excuses, never driven in the rain much less snow, always indoors. Needs heater core and detail to be show quality. Was appraised at $25k years ago but owner is less concerned about top dollar and VERY concerned that it lands in the hands of someone who will treasure it like Jim has. He does not have email and cannot send pictures. He is wanting me to send him a serious person who knows what it is and not just looking to flip it. The car is in NH and can be shown at the owners home. Call me if you are serious and want to see the car. Jim is a car guy and a straight shooter, looking for same. 3F93Q557463

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Car had to have been built during the last weeks of the 1973 production model year.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Car had to have been built during the last weeks of the 1973 production model year.
According to the last 6 numbers of the VIN, it shows in TC&MT it could have been built in either 03/73 or 04/73.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
According to the last 6 numbers of the VIN, it shows in TC&MT it could have been built in either 03/73 or 04/73.
Oh, I see where you found that.

According to The Mustang and Cougar Tag Book, Cougar VIN series 547100-566600 were built in April 1973.

My mistake was thinking that 560629 was the highest
VIN in 1973, based on the total number of 1973 Cougars built.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Great opportunity for someone. Not my year and uhh.. outta my budget either way ;) Hope it finds a new owner.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
What is a TC&MT?
I was calculating that this car is 57,463 out of 60,629 total produced for 1973. Just a guesstimate.
Edit: Scott, I just saw your reply 2 posts up after I replied here. Just a little bit slow tonight replying myself:bloated:. Liked your reason for your edit. LOL

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Edit: Scott, I just saw your reply 2 posts up after I replied here. Just a little bit slow tonight replying myself:bloated:. Liked your reason for your edit. LOL
You were replying, while I was editing. LOL

·
Registered
256 Posts
This must have been a custom order. Rare for a coupe. A lot of 73 converts well appointed. They along with the mustangs were snatched in the "last of the convertible craze"

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Sounds like a really nice car !

·
Registered
256 Posts
Would this 73 be in the same league as a 71 429 coupe?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Did that 71 Blue 429 xr7 4spd convert ever sell? Was in a museum. Remembered seeing it in mags back in the 80's.
has to be the nicest 71-3 on the planet. I think everyone could learn to love big cats with that one.

·
Registered
928 Posts
This must have been a custom order. Rare for a coupe. A lot of 73 converts well appointed. They along with the mustangs were snatched in the "last of the convertible craze"

Would definately have been special order as black was not offered as a color in 73 - Special order paint would have been required.

The Q code and 4spd combo with a sunroof really ad to this cars rarity! By 73 Many cougars were well equiped - AC/stereo/pw/tilt etc - were getting to be very common options as the cougar was well on its transition as a personal luxury vehicle.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Did that 71 Blue 429 xr7 4spd convert ever sell? Was in a museum. Remembered seeing it in mags back in the 80's.
has to be the nicest 71-3 on the planet. I think everyone could learn to love big cats with that one.
Which one - with 15 identical cars produced - several have actually been for sale.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
The Q code and 4spd combo with a sunroof really ad to this cars rarity!
and its awesomeness.

Black with white leather and row your own gears behind a q engine? Yes, please. Would make a really awesome sunshine car or show car for someone wanting an unrestored model. You could spend a LOT more than this on paint and little parts alone to get an ok show car. Sounds like a good deal for the right guy.
I'd like to have it, but I'm busy right now trying to buy myself a place with a garage! Gotta keep the cart and horse properly oriented!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Sounds like a neat car, but we need pictures, pictures, pictures....especially of the sun roof open!

·
Registered
902 Posts
New Hampshire.....Hmmmm..

How do these Q code cars perform? Are they slugs or reasonably quick?

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They are quick, have a 4 bolt main and have lower compression than the 1970 version so pump gas works great. The Q with an AT is slow off the line with AT but the 4V changes things in the same way a 289 Hipo does 4spd vs AT.

·
Registered
442 Posts
The Guys name is Jim Ratta, seems like a nice guy but is family has medical expenses. He loves his cars and can tell you everything about them. This one was ordered special and was treated right. The tires are even original! Who has ever gotten 26000 miles on the rear tires from a CJ car? Theres a blemish on the hood when it was delivered from the factory but he did not want the dealer to re paint his hood, so it's still there. There is a story and a history that comes with this car.

The wife and are interesed in his car but it is hard to pursue a car that is 2500 miles away without a picture. Jim has told me that he will send pics to me if he can get his children to do it. I will post if that happens. If not, maybe a local appraiser.

I have read that the 73 is not the beast that is used to be. It only has 248 HP @ 5400 rpm where my M code 70 had 300 HP at 5400 rpm plus the 73 is a inch longer and probably a bit heavier.

Still with the CJ package and the originality of the car, not a bad investment and a fun car to own and drive.

This brings me to my next delima:
What do you do with a 26000 mile car that has been pampered all of it's life? It has to have a few hidden problems caused from lack of use. My position is that the car was built to be driven and thats the only way to work out the kinks. I have never wanted to own a trailer queen, but the originality and low miles is one of the things that make it special.

just my 2 c

1 - 20 of 36 Posts