Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the problem. The receptacle that the end of the ignition switch lock fits into is rounded out. Anyone else out there experience similar problems? How difficult is this rotten thing going to be to fix? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Not sure exactly what you mean, can you post a picture?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cardoctor, the first item that you sent is the correct part that I need, thanks! Anyone out there ever replaced one of these before?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm sure I've done one, most columns of that era are similar, the bar that gear moves is a wheel lock and the other end has a rod that goes to the ignition switch, I can't remember if it will slide out thru the lock cylinder hole or if you have to disassemble the column, If memory serves just make sure you mark the teeth on the gear to the teeth on the bar it moves, if your off you won't have acc turning back, or won't turn enough forward to crank, just start to take it apart and take photos, I think you'll be ok.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
You have to fiddle with it a little, but the part of the lock cylinder that goes in that triangular-ish hole in the gear will only go one way, and it has to be lined up so the lock cylinder will go in the housing and engage the gear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts