Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if this is possible, been searching all across google but it appears no one has even tried to do this. But I suppose that there cant be too much difference in between the 70 cougar and the 71-73. I have just recently bought a 73 cougar its being certified for me before i can pick it up. But I used MS Paint to see how it would look with hideaway headlights and it looks real nice. I attached a pic, let me know if this is possible.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I'm not aware of anyone that has done this. My best suggestion, until someone here provides a better answer, is to look closely at the area behind the headlights to determine if there is sufficient room for the whole headlight assembly to move back to make room for the covers. There also needs to be room above the assembly for the headlight doors to open. Plus you'll need room for the motors. If the room exists, it should be very doable.

·
I thought I changed this?
1,213 Posts
There have been a couple of threads about this, but so far as I can remember, nobody has ever made one work.

I can't find the threads on a search, but there was a few suggestions on using T-bird or Torino lights, possibly even Charger units.

Biggest problem with a 1-2-3 would be having the room to have the covers tuck away, and the mechanism.
I suspect the lids may need to go down, rather than up.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
If I were attempting this, I'd start with a '77-'79 Thunderbird as a donor. The front end layout is closer to your '73 than the '67-'70 Cougars, plus they made a gazillion of 'em, so parts should be (relatively) plentiful.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The best way would probably be to go with the electronic motor conversion as well to help keep precious space compact. Plus it's a ton easier to run wires than to run vacuum lines, rods and brackets.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts