Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wondered if there was instruction on line for Alternator replacement on my car? I dont do engine work and I cannot afford to have someone make the repair. Is this easy?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I think on Autozone.com there are online manuals. As far as alternator replacement, you will need a 5/8 wrench to take the long bolt from the head and I think it came orginally with a 9/16 bolt that holds it to the bracket. On the back is a plug you can remove and another that is bolted in. Just remember where those go back. Other than that, if your car is still all original, don't forget to replace the voltage regulator at the same time.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
If you don't do engine work, this is a great first repair to learn on. You're gonna have to get your feet wet sooner or later if you plan on keeping an older car around.

Disconnect the negative battery cable FIRST.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Not a tough job. Not that much to remove and you can do it yourself. Remember to disconnect battery, negative cable is good. Make sure you get the belt back tight when you are done. If you have never wrenched on one you can still do it in an afternoon easy.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Disconnect the negative battery cable FIRST.
Very wise words, but to add a little more, when reconnecting, connect the positive cable first. If you think of how electricity works, it make sense to do it this way EVERY time. If you disconnect the negative first, the only way it will short is if you short to the positive lead of the battery. If you were to take the positive off first, EVERY thing that your wrench could touch would be negative and would scare the crap out of you and possibly cost more money in replacement parts. Once the negative side of the battery is off, this is no longer a concern. Same goes for when you reconnect.

So far I see nothing but great advice. It is an easy job, and can be done in no time at all.

One thing I did find funny on the last link though. Off to the side it showed a link to "how to restore a classic Mustang". Seems it is rather easy to restore a car these days, there are only 10 steps involved, and one of those steps is to purchase some books.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts