Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New gas tank, all gaskets, trunk to tank gasket, sending unit, new kyb gas a just rear shock absorbers, rear wheel bearings, rotors, calipers, and motor mounts. As soon as its not cold as hell and it finally stops raining Ive got some work cut out for myself! After all this, if the vibration continues, I WILL LOOSE MY MIND! ahahahaaa

·
Registered
437 Posts
Have you checked your tranny bolts, where it bolts to the motor? When doing my clutch I found the top drivers side bolt "ear" broken off. There are only 3 bolts holding it in place instead of 4. I have a shudder/vibration on acceleration that goes away at speed. This is it. Just a thought. Good luck on all your projects.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Keep us posted if the vibration is gone!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW so today I replaced the tank, sending unit and gaskets, come to find out the filler neck to tank gasket was my leak problem, a slit in the bottom of it, fixed and fixed! Gauge actually reads correctly and for the first time since Ive had the car I can actually fill it up ! aqhhahahahah. So upon replacing the motor mounts I notice that on the way to my dads MY ALTERNATOR BOLT BROKE!!!! TORE THE BELT INTO PIECES!!. So I had to run to junk yard and get a new bolt and spacer and stop by parts store and buy a new belt! WOW! I thought I heard something clang around lol.... I checked the motor mounts and Im almost positive thats the vibration, there are stress cracks all up and down both mount!! Thatll be next

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Don't forget the trans mount. Once those get oil soaked, the rubber deteriorates. Many times a trans mount is torn loose and you'll never know it by looking at it, but once torque is applied, the mount will separate and cause driveline vibrations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts