Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out this morning that the original motor in my car was a 351CJ. I had no idea they didnt even know there was a cobra jet asides from the 427 or 429, whichever. So I was wondering if anyone knows where to find one that needs a rebuild. Are these motors rare?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also read online the were introduced in the fall of 71, so Im kind of hesitant about whether or not to follow this info

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
M code still in 1971.

·
Registered
390 Posts
No such thing as a Cobra Jet 427. Cobra Jet motors were 351, 428, and 429. Super Cobra Jet versions of the 428 and 429 were available options too.
The 351 Cleveland 4bbl was available in different versions including the Boss, HO, CJ, depending on the year. CJ's recieved the new open chamber lower compression heads and 4 bolt mains. The Boss 351 were the earlier 4bbl Cleveland closed chambered high compression heads with an adjustable valve train solid lifters. I used to be up on the Cleveland motors with the Boss was my favorite, I think of the Cobra Jet 351 as being the lowest performance 351 4v due to higher emission standards and ability to run lower octane fuels, this is just my opinion. To say I have a 351 Cobra Jet is a cool factor reguardless.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
my 1971 has Q code, so a 351w or cleveland is better built than the cj?
You have a Q in your 1971 Cougar VIN number? I'd like to see a picture of that.

·
Registered
390 Posts
my bad on the 427, for some reason i remember something about a 427 in a thunderbolt? probably mistaken though
Sure you could have a 427 thunderbolt, a Galaxy, a fairlane, even a Cougar, but it's not a "Cobra jet"
A 351 block with 4 bolt main caps found in most if not all 72 and up motors and a set of 4bbl heads machined for Boss type adjustable pushrod guided rockers and a Boss cam would be a worthy build for your cougar, and retain Cobra Jet status.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
As I recall at least 1 71 gor a Q code for 71. My CBTN book is at home. I to would like to see your VIN plate. If it is a Q, you sir have one of the rarest 71s out there. I do hope it is that one(or so) 71 351 Cjs.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Did you say 71?
<TABLE id=Table1 border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=600><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=bottom width="30%" align=right>VIN </TD><TD>3F93Q532710</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom width="30%" align=right>Door Plate Data </TD><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom width="30%" align=right>Model Year </TD><TD>1973</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom width="30%" align=right>Assembly Plant </TD><TD>Dearborn, Michigan (F)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom width="30%" align=right>Body Style </TD><TD>XR7, Hardtop (93)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom width="30%" align=right>Engine Model </TD><TD>351-4V Cobra Jet (Q)</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom width="30%" align=right>Sequential Number </TD><TD>32710</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Not according to the VIN information you posted. I see you have a registration document that says it's a 71 but you have a VIN that shows it's a 73.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Someone has changed the dash pad.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts