Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys-N-Gals.....just got back from vacation and came across a real gem of a Cat if anyone has any interest.

The car has had a recent (last couple of years) complete resto done and is in very nice shape. It is a complete #'s matching 1971 - 429SCJ/C6 "J" Code car with a factory sunroof, leather interior, full power eveything, fully loaded with every option that was available. He claims there were only 150 produced with the 429SCJ in 71....I don't know.

The speedo is showing 53,000 miles but is most likely 153,000 even though the interior doesn't reflect that. This is one very clean looking cat which I wouldn't mind having....and probably would if I loved the 71 as much as I do the 70....

Anyway, I told the fellow I would see if there was any interest on this board and let him know. He's looking for $10k for it....let me know if your interested.

Dale

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oops - XR7

Forgot to mention....it's an XR7

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Well if I win the loto I'd love to have one. Also "Cougars by the Numbers" says 138 "J" 429CJ with C6 in XR7 hardtops. The rarest 429CJ "C"(non ramair) is the Standard convert with C6 with only 2 made. I wounder if one still exhists? Neal.

P.S. Only 359 XR7 H.T. got a sun roof also.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Dale,

I'm interested. I was thinking about refi-ing anyway! LOL. Would he be interested in a 66K mile 71 Mark III, plus cash? I have a friend who was interested in my Mark, so it's not essential.

Photos???????
What's the data plate info?

According to the CCOA there wasn't a drag pack Cougar in 71 (see link) there were J code 429s though. I'd be curious what the axle ratio is on the data plate.

http://www.cougarclub.org/Cougars101/429cj.shtml

Thanks!
Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://hometown.aol.com/timbrands/Cougar.html

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will make some inquiries on the Data Plate info for you. I doubt he would have any interest in trades as he already has a yard full of classic cars.....awe....ain't that a tough break. :cry:

I will see if we can get some pics as well but it may be a couple of weeks before I can round up any of this stuff. I'm going to be away and I believe he is as well. Anyway, I'll see what I can dig up for you....

Dale

:D

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another Item I forgot!

I forgot another important item but thought you would have all figured this one out anyway. The original mint Ram Air Assembly is complete and together with the functional scoop....it looks absolutely sweet on this car. I'm beginning to like the looks of the 71 more and more now that I think of it.

Dale

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not yet Tim....there hasn't been much interest for some reason. This car is cherry.....if you are interested I'll see what I can dig up for you. It may take a little bit.....

Let me know if your interested.....

Dale

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Give me a week or so to gather what I can from him. I'll let you know when I have something.....

Dale

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tim,

See this link, I believe it may be the car that you are looking for, http://volition.carfrenzy.com/files/cc24404.html

I personally know of 3 possible 4 429CJ Ram Air sunroof cars.

If you have and 429 questions you can email me directely or check out the 429CJ Mustang Cougar Forum. http://www.fomoco.com/forum429

From the pictures of the car looks like it could be missing wheel lip moldings and rocker moldings.

Mitch:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tim,

The car in the ad that I found has ac so it would have a 3.25:1 rear just depending weather it was ordered with a track-lok or not.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Mitch,

From the pic it looks to have the wheel lip mouldings. Looks good! But I would have prefered the original yellow, I always prefer whatever the original color was.

I'm sure it wasn't a Drag Pack Cougar, from everything I read. It sounds like a good deal to me. Is British Columbia a "non salt" place?

Tim B

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tim,

No, the owner of that Cougar is Dan Davis, I have a triple black 71 XR7 ht.

I must have missed the wheelip moldings, the 71 429CJ Cougars were only available with the 429CJ - the only gears were the 3.25 and 3.50 - non air only.

I beleive in general BC is a no salt location, I'd ask Scott Fergeson.

Mitch

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Mitch,

Oh yeah! I've seen your Cat too. Can't beat the black on black combo. Is Dan's a standard or XR7 (I thought it had the standard interior)? I frequent the 429 Mustang/Cougar board and the old FoMoCo site.

I could probably dig up the money for the red 429CJ, it 's more a problem of finding good parking or a garage.

Tim B

·
Contributing Member
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
More info

WOW! Lots of posts here today.

Hey Tim....I finally managed to track down the owner of the Cougar and he is going to snap some shots of her tommorrow. He is also going to pull all the data plate info for me and send that along as well. So perhaps tomorrow or Thursday, I should have some goodies here for everyone to look over.

Incidentally, depending on which part of BC you look at, there are areas where it is salty and areas that are not. This car is from the area that is not. It's from the Interior of BC which is basically high desert country (in fact its the northern tip of the Senora Desert which starts in California) and it's very dry there.

From what I could tell, this car is very very very clean and looks to be rust free. I even had a quick look inside the fender wells and underneath....all clean. This car looks to me like it went through a very thorough resto not that long ago....I'll try to find out more.

Man....I may just have to buy the damn thing myself....I really think I have sold myself on it. It is really nice and I wouldn't B.S. a fellow cougar man. :D ....seriously :rolleyes:

Talk to ya some more tommorrow.....

Dale

1 - 20 of 21 Posts