Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone im new to the boards and was wondering if anyone had some good pics of some 1971 standard cougars.
Im 17 and for my first car the guy down the road from me told me hell sell me his 71 cougar for 1 grand. allthe car needs is a little body work but the rest is supposed to be in good shape, but the thing is i have never seen the car and hes on vacation now so ill have to wait a while for him to get back, and all the pictures i have found didnt really show me much so if anyone could help out be telling me where i can find some nice pics of the 71 cougar from all angles i would appreciate it

thanks

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Run!!! Run before the Cougar addiction hits you big time!!!

Welcome to the best resource for the Classic Cougar community!!!

Seriously though, I bought my first Cougar, a plain-jane 72, back in 1976. I've had two of my current Cats (73s) for over 20 years. I just picked up another 73 this past winter. ...and if my wife finds out I gave someone my number today about possibly picking up yet another Cat, I'll be sleeping in the garage from now on,, but that's my problem, not yours!

For pics of our Classic cats, hit the little blue button at the top of the screen that says 'gallery'. There you can click on Cougar pictures to your heart's content. There are quite a few pics of 71s, 72s (which are identical to 71s) and 73s (only slightly different due to 5mph bumper regs). By standard Cougars, do you mean non-XR-7s? The only difference between the Standard and XR-7 is the interior appointments. XR-7s had more complete instrumentation instead of idiot lights. XR-7s also generally had leather inserts in the seats and 'deluxe' door panels.

When you go to look at the car, get the VIN number and also look at the driver's door for the data sticker. The door data sticker will have a bunch of code jibberish that we can help you decipher as to what you're really looking at -- Original color, interior, rear axle ratio, trans type, engine, assembly plant, where it was sold originally... We Cougar fanatics tend to be a bit ecclectic and love espousing our knowlege to you new guys.

Welcome aboard!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks alot for your help ill start to post some more when i start to get more info on the car and hope you guys can help me out some more in the future

thanks alot

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Hi, hope you get the cat, you won't regret it. When you do, find my post ofn 71 - 73 owners and give me your details, I am trying to keep track of all the owners.
Dayle

·
Registered
600 Posts
Welcome to the boards!
Yes please do post more often i remember when I first came on here after getting my 73 XR-7 there was very few of us 71-73 owners!
On a side note the other differences between a 71,72 and a 73 are not only the bumpers, and the interior...but the grill and headlight surrounds:)
Anywho welcome aboard and hope to hear from you:)

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
73 differences

Dave, don't confuse the poor guy just yet. Giving an information overload to a prospective newbie could scar him for life LOL! Believe me, I know about all of the differences between the 71 &72 vs the 73s. I've had probably a dozen 71-73s all told. I could tell y'all stories... :p: :D

·
Registered
600 Posts
LOL ever said you didn't know man, you heped me tons when i first got here:)
So lets hear a good Cat story!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Where are you?

71 XR-7's are cool. I have 2~72 XR-7's. Where are you so I can snatch that 71 from you?:D

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Yes They DID make standards in those years I had two 73s that were both standards Not much difference on the outside than the XR7's but the interiors were different.... come to think of it, I have never owned an XR7 cat HHMMmmmmm I should change that

Don

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
34,008 made of 71 Standards;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts