Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was watching a youtube video on a 69 cougar with a 429CJ and it looked like to me that when they were checking for the numbers on the block they looked underneath the car towards the back on the drivers side... Would I find the numbers around the same area for my 71 Cougar XR7 with a 351 C??????????

When I ran my Vin through the decoder it came up that the car came from the factory with the M code motor... Since that motor is the more HP motor out of the two 351 C that was available with the cougars that year... I really want to find out if my car still has the original motor in it or not... I have had the car for over two years now and the guy I bought the car from was first his Dad's car and he told me his dad owned the car since the early 80's... The guy told me everything was original which it seems right on the car but I would like to check for myself...

Also, is the number on the block for that year model supposed to match the last 5 digits of your Vin number?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Driver's side rear top corner of the block. There is a machined area that they would stamp the partial sequential, and it will not be neatly done, either. Should be 1F5xxxxx and the last six digits should match your car's VIN.

You'll also have a four-barrel motor. look for the number '4' on the top corners of the heads, just outside of the valve covers.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Driver's side rear top corner of the block. There is a machined area that they would stamp the partial sequential, and it will not be neatly done, either. Should be 1F5xxxxx and the last six digits should match your car's VIN.

You'll also have a four-barrel motor. look for the number '4' on the top corners of the heads, just outside of the valve covers.
Thanks for the reply Cougrrcj...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Well, I couldn't see the back of my block from under the hood... So, I jacked my car up and was under my car for about two hours. I couldn't find the numbers on the motor... I used a rag and engine degreaser trying to clean the Driver's side rear top corner of the block up and still couldn't find it... Also, I did have a really strong light. Maybe if i had the car on a lift then I could in there higher and see the numbers...

Now there is the number "4" on the top corners of the heads. So that is one thing that is matching...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts