Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a customer in CA called Studio Picture Vehicles that buys parts for their 71 Coupe from us on a regular basis. A show I have never heard of (NCISLA) wants to use their Orange exterior / Black interior car as a mainstay. "If" they sign on the dotted line, their buyer "Ken" told me they would be looking for a small fleet of 71-72 Coupes in average to good condition. They would need "jumpers" on up... This particular car the director likes has blacked out trim and a GT hood scoop. Ken told me that if the Cougar is chosen it could follow suit with the other cars he has provided for The Fall Guy, A-Team, Dukes and Night Rider. He said not only should you see a surge in popularity of the make but people will be calling for hood scoops. The bad news is over the span of the show (or however long they go with the Cougar) dozens of coupes will be wiped off the face of the earth forever. Before you cheap-sell your tired 71-2 with peeling chrome on the bumpers, you may want to hold off until we find out for sure if NCISLA goes for the Cougar.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I haven't been so worried since Lee Majors drove a 69 convertible Cougar off a cliff in the title sequence of "Fall Guy."

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
How many general lee cars did they kill on dukes of hazzard, the series, not the movie. (they did kill a few more in the movie though.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know about a gold mine but... at minimum there should be a short term bump in demand that should affect value, at least the West Coast.

·
Premium Member
364 Posts
I don't know about a gold mine but... at minimum there should be a short term bump in demand that should affect value, at least the West Coast.
Actually I am already irritated it the thought of people saying Hey that's that NCIS car,instead of just saying hey cool car what is it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Actually I am already irritated it the thought of people saying Hey that's that NCIS car,instead of just saying hey cool car what is it.

X2 Good point. I kinda like it that people havent seen much of this car, but, upon reflection, who watches that show anyway????

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hey Don, keep us informed, I have a 71 XR7 that fit all of the crash and burn criteria. Sal

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
X2 Good point. I kinda like it that people havent seen much of this car, but, upon reflection, who watches that show anyway????
Yup, bound to happen. Just like the Burn notice car; the Columbo car; Miami Vice car; the Dude, Where's my car?, car; Mirth mobile from Wayne's World; the General Lee; etc.

I think that it would be a positive thing for our community if they use a 1971-73 Cougar. It would create a lot of questions about the nature of the car, plus it would help it become a 1/64 scale toy.

I don't watch this spin off NCIS, I am partial to the original NCIS. Tried watching NCIS Los Angeles, but the characters didn't do it for me.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How many general lee cars did they kill on dukes of hazard, the series, not the movie. (they did kill a few more in the movie though.
Many... Ken said the most they ever had on their lot at one time was 56. They started to dry up towards the end of the series run and they were getting pretty aggressive in their hunt, some locals got multiple notes left on their windshields. Keep in mind this was before National Classic Car Trader or any active Charger clubs not to mention the net.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I think that it would be a positive thing for our community if they use a 1971-73 Cougar. It would create a lot of questions about the nature of the car, plus it would help it become a 1/64 scale toy.
Maybe you could explain the above part of your comment to me. I, personally, don't see how that could be a positive in the long run and most of all why would I care if it was a positive?

Are we not admirers of the car simply because we like the car? Or, is that not enough and we need the whole world to know about our cars? I don't know about others but when I know of a good thing I surely do not go around telling everybody else. Whether a great Chinese restaurant, everyone should go to, or a cool car everyone should have. I find crowds to be undesirable not to mention people should do their own leg work.

As for increased value I find it irrelevant. For a person, like me who is not ever selling, dollar value has no meaning because I am in it for the personal enjoyment only.

I, especially, don't see how this would be a benefit for Don in the long run. The more smashed 71-73 Cougars there are then the less there are out there to restore. Then his parts would have fewer cars to hang on.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Many... Ken said the most they ever had on their lot at one time was 56. They started to dry up towards the end of the series run and they were getting pretty aggressive in their hunt, some locals got multiple notes left on their windshields. Keep in mind this was before National Classic Car Trader or any active Charger clubs not to mention the net.
Someone should remind them that it's 2010, very soon to be 2011. Dont these people employ 'puter geeks and special effects people? Pixar can make an entire movie with nothing more substantial than a idea. I'm to believe a production company cant make a car jump over the Grand Canyon without actually trying it for real?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Maybe you could explain the above part of your comment to me. I, personally, don't see how that could be a positive in the long run and most of all why would I care if it was a positive?

Are we not admirers of the car simply because we like the car? Or, is that not enough and we need the whole world to know about our cars? I don't know about others but when I know of a good thing I surely do not go around telling everybody else. Whether a great Chinese restaurant, everyone should go to, or a cool car everyone should have. I find crowds to be undesirable not to mention people should do their own leg work.

As for increased value I find it irrelevant. For a person, like me who is not ever selling, dollar value has no meaning because I am in it for the personal enjoyment only.

I, especially, don't see how this would be a benefit for Don in the long run. The more smashed 71-73 Cougars there are then the less there are out there to restore. Then his parts would have fewer cars to hang on.
That is a conumdrum for me. Explain something to you,........ so that you can ultimately tell me you don't care?
Sounds like a challenge.

Everyone on this forum is here for the love of the classic Mercury Cougar. We like talking about and learning about these cars. These cars mostly give us enjoyment and pleasure. It is human nature to share with others, the things in life, that make us feel good.
Of course I would be enthused if a Cougar was featured on a TV show. The more that it is recognized as an American icon, the less chance someone will come up to me and ask "Is that a Buick?"

The few more smashed 71-73 Cougars mean more parts for the rest of the 175,000 Cougars of that generation. I am guessing that we are talking about 25 or less cars being used over the life of the show.
Exposure of the big bodied classic Cougars will bring new enthusiasts, and will help re-engage the current owners of 71-73 cars.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These are car people through and through. They also have a strict budget so no nice cars are used for jumpers. The hood they bought last week from us was grade "C" so shipping and crating cost more than the actual hood. The headlight bucket had three mounting tabs broken off, nobody calls me for junk like that! They also made sure we picked out a blem for the repro hood scoop they bought. Yes, good parts will inevitably get ruined but for the most part they are buying unsalable junk from us... The reason national exposure is good is that if the average price of a 71-72 coupe remains at $4000 then the average amount of parts myself and other companies will find feasible to reproduce every year will be about 1. The average guy who finds a "deal" on CL is going to give up quick after about the 3rd time he calls us and finds there are no reproductions for even the most in demand, simple parts. Thanks for bringing this question up. While obvious to myself, not everyone understands the path to classic car preservation. On the surface It probably looks to the average person that many Chargers were sacrificed in the making of the "Dukes" making them all the more scarce but my guess is the car became such a hit because of the series that folks all across the world were saving cars that otherwise would have been junked.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Interesting. I watch both the original NCIS as well as NCIS: LA. LA just isn't as good as the original. Things just don't fit as well together. To be honest, I'm not crazy about 71-73 body styles so this wouldn't be a big deal to me. But hey some positive publicity could be good!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I wonder how long it will take everyone to change their tune on this subject when they find out the little old lady is gonna be the one driving it. :buck:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I wonder how long it will take everyone to change their tune on this subject when they find out the little old lady is gonna be the one driving it. :buck:
We have a 1973 that has blocks on the pedals for a vertically challenged person like her.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Well, there goes most of the rust-free 71-73 restorable cars and sheetmetal...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts