Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have access to VIN records through Texas Dept of Transportation and today I scrolled through the VIN records of 1970 Cougar 0F93(xr7 hardtops) vin codes and found only 25 that were currently registered here in Texas. Out of those 15 had the H engine code(3512V) and 10 had the M engine code(3514V). I found 19 XR7 convertibles still registered with only one with the Q engine code(4284V) and the rest 351's. That is sad considering the approx. 20,000 XR7's produced that year. But verifies the true rarity of the XR7 model here in Texas. I'll take that over a Mustang anyday.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You said registration, do you mean cars that are currently tagged or just titled in TX? If its tagged then that would mean there are 25 active 70 XR7's and there could be more hidden away. If its titles then its probable that there are even fewer active ones.

On the amount of Mustangs. Back in the mid-Eighties I had a 70 Mach 1. The production that year was around 40K. There were 7 in Corpus that I knew about. Seemed to me that was WAY over what any one locale should've had.

On another note there's a 70 Cougar hidden behind a shack on FM 665 just inside the eastern Alice city limits. It was never in good shape when I first saw it three years ago and it's been getting worse ever since. I did notice that last week they moved it from in front of the shack and plain view of the road, to behind the shack where you can only see the front as you leave Alice eastbound (hint,hint :D ).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I meant just currently tagged, running legal on the roads. I 'm sure there are more cougars in Texas like the one behind the shack that are wasting away. I was trying to get a sense of the ones that are being driven and used.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Of the three 73 Cats I currently own, none are currently registered. I had maintained AlphaCat's registration, even though it was in pieces for 'rust'oration, from 1985 when I took it apart, until 1997 just so i could keep my COUGRR 'Vanity Tags'. In 97 the State decided that all cars less than 25 years old needed to be emission tested. Before then, it was just cars made after1980. No chance of AlphaCat getting an e-check(it was in pieces still), so I couldn't renew and lost my vanity registration. BetaCat hasn't been on the road since 1986, and the title for the new PartsCat hasn't been transferred yet, so no plates.

Now, will these Cats be back on the registration rolls sometime? Sure. When, I have no idea, but they will be. I'm sure I'm not the only one with 'works-in-progress' that aren't registered.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Make it one more 70 XR7 351C 4V on the road in Texas. I let my tags expire because it needed engine work. I buy the tags on Friday! I never see old Cougars here in San Antonio. That's why I am keeping mine! When I go to Fun Ford Weekend, I see hundreds of Mustangs, T Birds, Torinos, etc. I've only seen one Cougar

RayJ
70 XR7
500+ HP

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rayj-if your the one with vin code 0f93M553199 from Bulverde, I actually counted you as the registration expired recently and figured you just hadn't got around to renewing.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On eliminators,since there wasn't a specific vin digit signifying this model its hard to tell. The standard engine i believe in those was the M code 3514V and there are 22 total cougars with 91 & 93 model code with that engine code,but I didn't verify which ones with the 91 code were still registered. But if there were eliminators, it would be a small number. There were only 5 91 & 93 models that had the Q engine code(cj4284v)one being a convertible. And only three 91 models that had a G engine code(boss 3024V).

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Either way pretty rare, q, m, g are eliminators or possibly rather, they would be 91 body code right? thanks geoff.................

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Add mine too. 70 xr7 H code. one more for Texas, one less for Arizona.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
E-cat

Yes, Standard hardtop only.
I know of four (Maybe five) E-cats in the Dallas area.
This includes mine, and I'm sure they are not all registered.
As far as who the owners are, you would have to ask Logan. Logan is the current prez of LSCC and would know more specifics than me. I dont know of any for sale at the moment.
shane
E-cat#9F91S 64,591st scheduled to build at Dearborn
Door Plate 65A 9 EA 17D 22 R 5:1poke:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Any of you Texas Cougar owners ever race them? BCLAY1818 - I'll be in Baytown on May 2nd at Fun Ford Weekend....Look for my car. By the way....I'm in Bulverde...

RayJ
70 XR7

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
RAYJ , Is the Ford Weekend at the Houston Raceway ParK? I drive by it everyday on the way to work. No racing for me though. What's the setup out there for the Fun Ford Weekend? Do they have a car show and what is entry fee? I couldn't just let you be the only cougar out there.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Me Me Me heheh :D I race mine here in Texas. I live about 80 miles north of Houston. My car is one of the 70 XR-7 Convertibles you looked up. Cool! Mine and RayJ's are the exact same colors, in fact they almost look like twins cept mines a convertible. Ok, I lay claim to have the fastest XR-7 Convertible in Texas..... and takers?? Mine has run 7.50 in th 1/8 whcih is about a 11.80 quarter with mufflers so far.....:D

Kirk

·
Registered
216 Posts
I drag race mine. 68 std, 302 (original # engine)

Bought it from a friend last year... he had been racing it 15 years ago before parking in his garage. I've been having a blast at the drag strip, but do not intend to do anything to the car (like tub-and-narrow) that would totally devastate it's value. I've actually been putting the interior back in to a degree.

I'm doing a 429 buildup that will install in a year or so, I intend to run a C4 behind it (recently bought a bell off of Scott).

Fastest pass 13.17 @103, should tune into the mid 12's with the 302 this summer. I'm putting in a better fuel delivery setup and raising the stall in the converter from 3000 to 3700 (actual)

When I got the car I made a point of putting all of the exterior chrome and script emblems, etc... all back right. I get compliments every time I get it out. I pull into the strip and frequently get people coming around taking pics. Lots of Mustangs, so I think the Ford guys just enjoy seeing something different.

Ron.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
bclay1818 said:
RAYJ , Is the Ford Weekend at the Houston Raceway ParK? I drive by it everyday on the way to work. No racing for me though. What's the setup out there for the Fun Ford Weekend? Do they have a car show and what is entry fee? I couldn't just let you be the only cougar out there.
I went to the 2002 FFW at NE Dragway. Entry fees were $20 a head, Car and driver got in for $25. We brought my father's 66 over and it cost the 3 of us and the car $65.00 to get in! Only drivers get to vote in the show. Driver gets a wooden plaque (while supplies last) and a FFW commemorative magazine. I don't know if the entry fee included passes down the track, or how many if it did.

I have heard since that the entry fees have a lot to do with how much the track charges the FFW promotors, so maybe you'll do better in Houston.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Here are the details to the Fun Ford Weekend in Houston... I would love to bring my Cougar down there as well. I might on Friday and possibly Saturday. The problem with these particular events is they don't cater at all to our type of vehicles. There is no particular class to race, other than bracket racing ugh, everyting is geared to the new model "fox-bodied" cars. However I still might bring my Cougar down on Friday to make a few passes on the track... :D

Kirk

http://www.funfordevents.com/2003/Events/houston03_info.php

·
Registered
139 Posts
I won't be entering the car show, I'll be racing. I just got home from the machine shop. My block was bad and I took him another standard bore block. He measured it and said it was too rusty. We decided to put a boss351 block on it with Brodix aluminum heads. He's gonna help recoup some of my money by selling the heads and intake for me. I'm also having to return the Hooker super comp headers because they wont fit on Brodix heads.

I hope after all this trouble, this car hauls. He's conservatively estimating 550 horsepower. We'll see.

If you are in Baytown May 2-5, stop by. I don't get a chance to see other Cougars much.

RayJ

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok this is my last stat update on 70 cougars in Texas and then I'll quit. There are 43 currently registered 91 code cougars and 12 code 92(conv) cougars. Out of this number 6 are in San Antonio, 12 in Dallas/Ft Worth, 11 in Houston, and 5 in Austin. The rest are scattered throughout many Texas Cities. All Cougar models combined, total aprrox 100. Definitely a rare breed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am aware of 2 70's in my fair town of Euless. One is XR7 that hangs out in the owners garage and the other a Standard coupe that is a summer driver.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts