Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is a try, I really want to keep the car and have a winter project, but wife wants her friends 97 Saturn SW2. She's getting beat up on trading in for a new Vue, and would rather see someone get her car that needs a good one than the dealer making 4K off her. She'll let us have it for $500 more than dealer will give her, which is $2K under what the NADA and Kelly book says TRADE-IN is "supposed" to be. Dealers are flooded with used cars as people flock to take advantage of the overpriced new vehicles with 0 interest. (Yea right, only know of one person who can afford to even think of a new car, like dealers are desperate) (don't people know the've raised the price high enough they're paying for it anyway?)
Ok, back to the Cougar. It's a 351C 2bbl, 116K actual miles, AT, Gold, black vinyl top, (top was originally houndstooth) interior needs drivers seat repaired, otherwise the seats are great! The door pulls need attention. Headliner has a couple holes near the visors. New ginger colored carpet still in box, good tires, no dents, only rust is just a tad behind the trunklid chrome lip. Sequentials work, interior dash lights don't, suspect fuse box. Poverty hubcaps. Very throaty dual exhaust. Down side the FMX 2nd gear slips. There are some bubbles under the vinyl top near the pillar emblums. These emblums, one is great, one is so-so. Rear bumper pitted but straight. All glass good. All chrome straight. Paint is faded, looks like butterscotch pudding left out overnight.. (kind of an extreme example)Engine seems to run hot. Just before I got the car, the whole front end was rebuilt, new shocks, brakes and an alignment was done. It was parked just after that for the transmission shifting funny. I wouldn't mind getting $1800. Tomorrow I'm going to my credit union and see just what I can do, if anything. Had some "strained" credit so they beat me up.. If I get a loan, maybe I can keep it, depends on what I can get, 1/2 to all of it.. If not wife will be hard to live with. I have some pics, but don't know how to upload here. Just email me and I'll send you a few. I'm in WA state, you know, the highest unemployement in the nation at the moment and home to the dock lockout.
Willie in WA (the state)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hey, be glad she's not getting the Vue. I saw a crash-test writeup on that not too long ago. Didn't do so well at all. Even the dummy complained! Hooha!:p:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well good for me, I got the loan for the 97 Saturn SW2 from the lady, but unfortunately for the lady, she is going over tonight to pick up her new Vue. But to each their own. she has a 2001 L-Saturn wagon, was her husbands who kicked off, and the 97 SW2 was hers, so I guess she wants to feel young again, or remove all the previous memories, or something..
Anyway, wife thinks I ought to just let the Cougar go anyway as the yard is quite full, and she insists the Saturn gets the prime spot now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts