Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have searched the archives and i am more confused then ever,please help me. i have a square drivers side mirror style,is there anywhere i can match this up or get a complete new set i need to get a pass mirror on before i wreck something. the driver is non remote.
thanks.

·
Registered
38 Posts
great question, I have a 70 with the same style remote mirror, the door is off a 69 and has a chrome molding along the top of the door and butts up to the mirror. I have a spare 69 RH door which has the chrome and it is full length, If a RH mirror is to be mounted as per factory does this mean I would need a different chrome strip? Also do the sport mirrors mount in the same loctions as the standard mirrors? I tto would be more cofortable with mirrors on both sides. :confused: Anybody have an answere?

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
GUYS
on www.theclassiccougarnetwork.com they show the steps to mount a passengers side mirror to a 69-70 but as for the moulding question i think the cars that had passengers side mirrors did not come w/ the chrome strip on the tops of the doors but dont quote me on that but i dont think they did cause the mirrors are fastened to the top of the door like the drivers side is. But the 69-70 pass side mirrors were non remote but 71-73s were i think you can still buy the base for a 69-70 thru the vendors brand new you just need the top part.
thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
that mirror looks like my old Fairlane ones. Look at old fairlane wagons, or such. If you can get a better picture of the mirror, I can tell you for sure. I have a spare but the glass is all cracked :( and pitted.

·
Registered
488 Posts
okay, just to help you guys out here is the skinny on mirrors. the standard chrome mirror did not have a correct matching mate for the passenger side originally. some fairlane mirrors are close and will work well. the really good way to get a matched set if you don't want sport mirrors is to use the original base from the drivers side with a remote top from a chrome fairlane as they are just a little different shape (sort of like 67/8 i think) but then you can use a pssenger side repop for a mustang/fairlane (i am pretty sure it is a C7AB part number, been a very long time since i have done this!) the right side sport mirror does not mount the same way the left does. the right mirror mounts in the valley just below the top ridge so the mirrors are not actually symetrical left to right. the cougar was designed without a right mirror and somebody at ford figured out that if you file a little on the base of a torino mirror it would fit and sit properly (if the base is not filed the mirror will tilt out rather oddly). the real fun is the C9OB base is shorter than the D0OB base so the 70 mirror will fit and look better than the 69 part but if you want what a dealer would have slapped on the car then a short one it is on a 69! the D1OB base is almost identical to the D0OB and are interchangeable for those that do not worry about numbers. and last but not least the chrome strips on the door edge tops are an XR-7 feature and the right side is full length in all cases as i have already mentioned the mirror does not mount where the chrome is. hawkrod

·
Registered
38 Posts
Super answers everyone, I think I will use the chrome even though it is not a x car, no holes to drill and your skin is easilycleaned off with a little steel wool when you lay your arm out the window during the summer months. Sizzle. It's good to have an idea on what to look for when working on these older cars. I remember when the sport mirrors came out and they were instantly the cool thing to have and Ford didn't respod very quickly on making the mirrors for the drivers side. They were a item you could not survive long without if you had a 71-73 Mustang fastback because the rear window was almost worthless. Thanks people :flash: :wave:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts