Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any pointers or tips on installing a rear window weatherstripping. I'm a little confused, dont see how the window clips fit in with this aftermarket rubber.

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
You can put them in first, but if your careful you can push them on afterward.
Are the little studs still there?

The biggest problem is getting the trim pushed on afterward...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jeffj,
thank you for the pointer , i got another one for you, how and the hell do you install the glass with the new rubber on it with adhesive without getting the glue all over the place? Now with the new rubber and window installed cant I just fill the gap between the molding and car body?

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
It's a real PITA. I hired an experienced professional who knows how to do old cars. Pick your battles...

·
Premium Member
473 Posts
jeffj,
thank you for the pointer , i got another one for you, how and the hell do you install the glass with the new rubber on it with adhesive without getting the glue all over the place? Now with the new rubber and window installed cant I just fill the gap between the molding and car body?
No adhesive until its in then fill the gasket to body gap with the proper black goop (don't have the name handy) you don't need to glue the glass in the gasket and don't use silicone.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First put the new rubber in the house so it becomes room temp or by a heat source but not to long, then put the room temp rubber around the window, placement is critical then before you put it in the car body find a way to shrink the rubber by getting it cold, i did mine at night, and just started by working the bottom in first and then met in the top center, HOPE THIS HELPS

1 - 8 of 8 Posts