Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a little background. I have a 1970 Mercury Cougar with a 351 Cleveland. A week ago was driving it to a car show when the engine started to sputter, gas gauge went from full to empty, and the temp gauge went from middle of gauge to cold. I ended up at a gas station with no igniton, no lights, no windshield wipers etc. At that point I assumed the alternator went out. Since this episode, I've had the alternator tested at two different locations with the results indicating that it's fine. I then took the battery in and had it tested, bad battery, can't hold a charge. I then bought a battery and thought I had solved the problem. I re-installed the alternator(Which has a double ground) and put the new battery in. My problem is this, after starting the engine there is a very dim glow coming from the alternator light on the dash, could this be a result of a bad voltage regulator? The alternator is good, the battery is good, what else could it be. Sorry for the long post just trying to give enough information to get some helpful advice. Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts