·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pictures are here
http://photobucket.com/70cougar

and video is here
http://youtu.be/Z7u9lTEav9I

You are looking at a lovely example of a classic Mercury Cougar convertible, finished in dark red with red interior, a very solid rust free California car since new, still wears the original blue and yellow california license plates. I recently purchased this car form the estate of the original owner, who sadly passed away.

The car has 351 V8 2bbl with automatic, the car has had an Vintage Air air conditioning system professionally installed at a cost of nearly $3500, its a really nice installation.

I have put new brake pads, calipers, master cylinder and booster. New KYB shocks front and rear, and a brand new custom made dual exhaust system that is nice and subtle that will not upset your neighbours on a Sunday morning!!

I also added a Petronix ignition system to make the car a reliable everyday driver. The electric windows have been rebuilt and the car has a power top with new cylinders and hoses, the top is in excellent condition with a glass rear window.

The interior is exceptionally nice, carpet is like new, the seats are excellent, and the dash pad is perfect, not warped or cracked, an Alpine AM FM Cd player has been installed with upgraded speakers behind stock looking door speaker grilles

This convertible body style was only made for 1969 and 1970, so they are pretty rare, only 2322 convertibles were made in 1970 !! So there cannot be too many left.

The car runs and drives very well, and needs nothing but a driver, the transmission shifts well, car brakes perfectly, and the top, windows, wipers, and lights all work.

The car is sold completely as is, no warranty expressed or implied, this is a 42 year old car, please ask questions, I strongly encourage inspections, the car is titled in my name, no liens, with a clear California title, and the car is currently registered and insured. The car is located in Los Angeles, I can arrange shipping overseas or nationwide at your cost.

No lowballers, flakes, tire kickers, or scammers, have your finances in order before you look at the car. If you have to ask your wife, bank manager, cat or dog, please move on !! Thanks for looking

Price $19,995 obo

Contact Neil on 310 seven 39 71-80 or email [email protected]

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
No lowballers, flakes, tire kickers, or scammers, have your finances in order before you look at the car. If you have to ask your wife, bank manager, cat or dog, please move on !! Thanks for looking
Is this a misplaced Craigslist ad? Sounds like it because I surely would lowball you for a car priced at grade 1 level but not a grade 1 car. Good luck...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes the floor pan were professionally replaced by a restoration shop, with weld through primers and undercoating to prevent any further issues, and the price for high retail is as you call it is $36,000 according to NADA and to in addition to my professional opinion, and as a classic car appraiser, so you can low ball but you wont buy the the car !! the car is priced fairly according to the the condition, and reasonable offers will be entertained, so either make an offer or shut up !! no offense intended :smoke:

·
Registered
491 Posts
yes the floor pan were professionally replaced by a restoration shop, with weld through primers and undercoating to prevent any further issues, and the price for high retail is as you call it is $36,000 according to NADA and to in addition to my professional opinion, and as a classic car appraiser, so you can low ball but you wont buy the the car !! the car is priced fairly according to the the condition, and reasonable offers will be entertained, so either make an offer or shut up !! no offense intended :smoke:

A reworked h-code standard with bolt-on air for 20 grand?

Maybe I can use you for my next insurance appraisal. lol

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
The hole in the muffler and the garbage on the floor are a nice touch.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
That muffler looks like someone turned the key off for a while and back on. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
A reworked h-code standard with bolt-on air for 20 grand?

Maybe I can use you for my next insurance appraisal. lol
There's an H code hard top in ebay right now. The owner was asking about $75,000.00 for it (previously). I don't know his price right now.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Some of the most knowledgeable Cougar experts and enthusiasts on the planet here on this forum. Just a friendly FYI.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Aweful lot of overspray in the engine compartment. Air cleaner looks rusty. Firewalls / inner fender aprons look like they need painted. Incorrect front floors. And I'm far from an expert.
Where is the pic of the Marti report? Is the car even supposed to be red on red?

Granted, it does look relatively clean, and he will probably be able to find a buyer in the uninformed masses. Price still seems steep to me though. Heck, Don bought a survivor CJ ragtop for that price! LOL!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
lol. Looks like a nice driver and we can talk as much as we want, just like you can ask as much as you want for your car.

NADA is , well, um......WRONG.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Yep, Craigslist ad. Well, my "professional opinion" puts your car between grade 3 and grade 2. The AC adds nothing in my opinion to the overall value. That is not comparable to putting in a new kitchen in your house therefore you don't get back your investment. Last, nothing special or unique about the car so $10,000 pending mileage and quality of work done. However, painted fender bolts are clearly low quality work. NADA has always been clueless regarding older cars and is nowhere near my latest quarterly update.

Another one quoting NADA again. These two must be using the same book, LOL.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
You know you rushed the paint when the hood hinges and windshield washer squirters are painted red. Also, the plastic 80's horns look really bad. A pair of OEM stock refurbed high /low horns went on EBay Monday for $51.

How does one work the a/c when the original non-a/c controls are still in place?

Overall, the car could get closer to 19K if a weekend was spent fixing the wrongs...

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
You know you rushed the paint when the hood hinges and windshield washer squirters are painted red...
Fender bolts too. This is one of my pet peeves and something that is often seen on our cars...

·
Registered
39 Posts
The "market" will show what this car is worth... as long as buyer is informed. Best to pay a little more for a car done right. Brokers treat these cars as a commodity.. rarely know much about the details.

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts