Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring a 1970 Cougar Eliminator that was burnt. It's close to being ready to paint. The car was burnt from the rear end back.
While installing the wiring harness from the tail-lights to the dash I have run into a problem. The harness I am putting in has 2 plugins with 4 wires on each one. The original harness has the same 2 plugins but also a third single wire plug in and a fourth double wire plug in. Can anyone tell me what the single and double plugin are for and if they are needed? Are these possibly accessory wires that aren't to be used? I also have noticed that the doors have plugins that aren't used. Did they put a loaded harness in all the Cougars and not use all the plugins? The Eliminator had no trunk light and no electric trunk release. Did any Cougars have these 2 things and could this possibly be what they are for? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Nailhead

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
could be side marker lights(grn/wht, brn) (wht/blu, brn) and one ground (black)?

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I think the extras are the low fuel light and the c-pillar lights. The Eliminator uses the same wireing as an XR7. The standard will not have as many wires unless it was well optioned. I think you can go with out, Now lets see what others say.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
the schem shows the c-pillar lights as black w/ blue stripe.
luggage compartment light shown as green w/ yellow stripe.

·
Registered
448 Posts
70 Eliminator

Hey Nailhead,
Is your car the one that was on ebay some time ago, that was for sale here in New Jersey. I saw that car at the Atlantic City show and auction just prior to the fire. I have pictures of it before it was burned.
When it was on ebay I really wnated to buy it but could not justify a third project right now. The car was in beautiful shape before the fire and it did'nt look like there was too much damage. If I recall correctly it sold on ebay for a pretty good price considering it was not damaged too badly.
If it is in fact that car, and you are interested in the photos I took in Atlantic City, let me know and I'll see if I can scrounge them up.
I'll check my trunk wiring when I get home today, but I believe there is a connection for the trunk light and a connector that is not used on my XR7. I'll let you know what I find out.
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To Bowl, Badcat, and Paul, thanks for the help. the 2-wire plug is green w yellow and black w/blue. the other single wire is green w/ wh. i would guess they are not used on this car. this is the car that a good friend of mine bought on e-bay (i actually did the bidding--he did the paying! that was fun ! ) because of 30 years in auto-body and restoration, i get the job to bring it back. the car is rust-free and straight. all the parts we got out of San Diego and numerous other suppliers. it should be painted within a couple weeks. i hope to put some pics on this site showing different stages of the project . this is a great site and everyone here seems to help-out as i have found. it sure does make things easier when you are not familiar with a particular car. i have a chopped 51 merc (big-block chev) i probably should have left that out !! i also have a 1965 buick skylark G.S. (nailhead with 2--4's ). if i can assist anyone with auto-body advice i will return the help i got here. Paul, i would be interested in the pics. thanx much, Nailhead

1 - 6 of 6 Posts