Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sitting in my basement is a 1970 Eliminator project car. It is an original competition orange car w/ standard black interior. Not many options except center console, power steering, automatic. Didn't come originally w/ disc brakes, but now has disc brake spindles, rotors, calipers. Does have some new front end parts installed by previous owner. Needs full restoration.

Body:
Needs floor pan replacement from underneath seat platform-- forward. Debatable whether to put full length pans for strength, or cut a full length pan underneath the seat platform and save the good rear pans, Chime in you opinion here. Passenger seat platform has been removed.
I believe there are four press in nuts, for the hood hinges, that need to be replaced.
Vertical, triangular shaped section of the driver side torque box has some rust through. This is where the emergency brake cable goes through. Rest of the torque box looks good. passenger side torque box is the same way.
Left door has some rust. Should be replaced.
Very nice cowl.
Previous repair to left quarter in front of rear wheel. looks like it was a dent. Has holes from a puller filled with bondo. Doesn't look to bad.
Right rear quarter has a dent or wave, just below the upper body line. Looks good from inside the trunk.
Engine:
not original to the car. Supposedly rebuilt w/ 3,000 miles on it, from a wrecked 70 Cougar, but can't document the rebuild. Missing carb .
Transmission:
Supposedly rebuilt from the same car. It is clean on the exterior, so maybe so. It is an FMX.
Lot of parts already cleaned and boxed. Nice, reworked camera case dash w/ new headlight switch and working am radio.
Would rather sell my 70 Cobrajet in the foreground and restore the Eliminator, but it is nearly finished and time has become a problem.
Anyway, I know there are a lot of unanswered questions, but I am going to post before I lose everything I just typed. I have the Marti report, Eminger invoice, and Ford 999 History report. I will try to share these as time permits. I would ask if you are not seriously interested please not inquire.
I want $8500 for the car. Not negotiable. It may not be worth it in this economy. If not, it will continue to sit in my basement.
Thanks,
Tom

Can't post pictures right now. Will try later.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Tom,

I have the pieces of the aprons cut out of a 69 with the hood nuts in place if you are interested.

·
Registered
96 Posts
How about the interior? Door panels etc. This is the more important for me.
I am planning to buy a 70 Cougar in the future. An Eliminator would be a big +

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seats looked to have been dyed, maybe not. They look good with no rips or tears. Will work in short term, but if you go the distance you will want to recover. Back seat is original w/o rips or tears, but is old. Probably could be dyed to match front. Rear interior panels have nice upholstery, some cracks in fiberglass back panel, and some broken mounting tabs, but definetely usable. Have to look, but believe I have some door panels that would work, but would have to be dyed. Have a good set of arm rests. Carpet, you are on your own. Pillar moldings and windshield trim is good. Console was missing when I bought-- have been looking for a good one that won't brake the bank. I had planned on putting the houndstooth interior in the car(have not bought it yet). Would look good with my Bear Bryant houndstooth hat(U of A alum Roll Tide!).
Still have been trouble posting pics. Easier to show you then tell you.
As far as the hood hinge nutsert panels-- how hard are they to line up ? I have always cut out a little square of metal and attached to the nutsert or cage nut, then attached(welded) to the apron. Always looking for a better way.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pulled some of the parts out of the box today. Have a good set of standard black door panels that are black. Will work just fine. Rear interior panels looked good as well. Upholstery has loosened on them in some places, and will need to be reattached. One side had a strange spot where the material looked as if it was chemically burned off, or possibly a varmint(is that a word). I believe it is below the seat line-- will check it. Took pictures, but still can't post. Have another toy for sale if anyone is into old Ford trucks:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...Name=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Seats looked to have been dyed, maybe not. They look good with no rips or tears. Will work in short term, but if you go the distance you will want to recover. Back seat is original w/o rips or tears, but is old. Probably could be dyed to match front. Rear interior panels have nice upholstery, some cracks in fiberglass back panel, and some broken mounting tabs, but definetely usable. Have to look, but believe I have some door panels that would work, but would have to be dyed. Have a good set of arm rests. Carpet, you are on your own. Pillar moldings and windshield trim is good. Console was missing when I bought-- have been looking for a good one that won't brake the bank. I had planned on putting the houndstooth interior in the car(have not bought it yet). Would look good with my Bear Bryant houndstooth hat(U of A alum Roll Tide!).
Still have been trouble posting pics. Easier to show you then tell you.
As far as the hood hinge nutsert panels-- how hard are they to line up ? I have always cut out a little square of metal and attached to the nutsert or cage nut, then attached(welded) to the apron. Always looking for a better way.
I didn't think you were allowed to talk dirty on this forum. Geaux TIGERS!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts