Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
You do realize they are not the same? Just double-checking...

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
Center-to-center distance of the standoffs (mounting posts) are different on Cougar. (That is if you want to mount on the braces in the trunk where the factory did.) You can finagle a Mustang spoiler on there if you desire.

Here's a link to a correct 70 Cougar spoiler http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/70spoiler.html

Lots of posts / info up here so ask away.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Stoppppp!!!!!!

DFW..... DUDE!!!! Quit with the bad info!!!!!

What you say is true for 1969! ONLY! Fastback is looking for 1970.

1970 Spoilers for a Mustang and Cougar are EXACTLY THE SAME...on top of the decklid.

On the underside, the reinforcement pieces ARE different.

I believe that the reinforcement pieces for a Mustang have been reproduced, but I don't believe that the Cougar ones have been.....yet, unless Don has them hidden away!

They are SOOOO much different that they cannot be interchanged. No way. Nope.

Steve

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
The complete and correct 70 wing is available with all hardware from Don. Expensive but IMO worth every penny compared to the cheaper one

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
DFW..... DUDE!!!! Quit with the bad info!!
Slowmerc -- I'm certainly not taking your opinion as correct. I'll let someone with better credentials come back with good information.

And your gift is coming...

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
dfw.....

You should learn to be more trusting.....and do your research. You certainly do not know my credentials otherwise you'd never have typed what you did. Buy some MPC's and study them....then you will be informed weedhopper!

I was making spoilers & hood scoops before DFWcats was a thought in someone's mind.....

If you have posted something, like part numbers, to prove that what you said is correct, that the spoilers are different, that would be one thing.

But obviously, you have not been around 70 Cougars and Mustangs all that long, otherwise you would have known about their interchangeability, and their minor differences in mounting hardware.

It's OK though. I know that even with 30 years in Cougars and Mustangs, I do learn a few new things every once in a while! However, spoilers & scoops is not one of them that offers up too much any more.

You will learn more.....but don't be so fast to put someone down, who you do not know. They could teach you much...if you care to listen.

(If you were at the 91 Nationals in Denver, you may have met me. If you were at the '92 25th Anniversary Celebration in Santa Clara, you would know me.)

Steve

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
1970 Spoilers for a Mustang and Cougar are EXACTLY THE SAME...on top of the decklid.

On the underside, the reinforcement pieces ARE different.

I believe that the reinforcement pieces for a Mustang have been reproduced, but I don't believe that the Cougar ones have been.....yet, unless Don has them hidden away!
Steve
I had always thought that the height of the legs were different. Or am I thinking of a 71 Mustang spoiler? One of those Mustangs used a shorter leg, about half the height of a Cougar leg.

Several years ago Bill Quay made a limited run of correct 70 Cougar under decklid reinforcement plates. Where he was working at the time had the proper equipment to make them. I know that he no longer has any of them and he no longer works for that company. Doesn't the recent (in the last few years) 70 reproduction spoiler come with the reinforcements?

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I believe you're right, Randy. (leg length)

Don at WCCC has the brackets/decklid reinforcement plates/hardware available wothout the spoiler for $80.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
" at 70 mph"..

In 2nd gear, drinking coffee, with a bagel...Grabbing 3rd!

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Yes, 71+ stands shrunk for the Mach1's but the plastic portion remained the same. I think I still have some short stands around somewhere. They were some repops someone made up in kit form......

so 70 grabbing 3rd eh?

What's playing in the 8-track????? ! :lol:

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
dfw.....

I was making spoilers & hood scoops before DFWcats was a thought in someone's mind.....

But obviously, you have not been around 70 Cougars and Mustangs all that long, otherwise you would have known about their interchangeability, and their minor differences in mounting hardware.
SlowMerc: Check the sig -- I've been in them for quite a while ('83) and owned an Eliminator during that time. I do focus on 70 only and might get my facts for a 69 incorrect once in a while. I think you jumped off way too soon and did not read my original post where I warned him that the spoilers are not interchangable which is a fact. The spoiler includes the mounts. Now you slap me upside the head and tell me to get my facts correct. You simply interpreted my response to be "wrong" since you know everything.

I do agree that the 70 "fin" of the Mach and the Elim are the same but the MPC lists the kit differently -- obviously due to the brackets.

69 Mach and 70 Mach "fins" are not Concours interchangable -- they are different.

69 Cougar tail, brackets, et al stand on its own.

So to the OP you do know that the spoilers(fin+mounts) are different but some of the plastics are interchangable?

Does SlowMerc feel better?

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
(If you were at the 91 Nationals in Denver, you may have met me. If you were at the '92 25th Anniversary Celebration in Santa Clara, you would know me.)

Steve
Were you at the '05 Nationals? '97s? Did you have a 70 in those shows?
Hmmm...who headed up the 70 class? :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts