Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 Cougar that appears to have some XR-7 features, and lacking others, so I assume it's a mash-up of several cars.

The doors have no wiring at all. There isn't even a plugged hole for a wiring harness to enter. My son wants to at least install door speakers, and perhaps courtesy lights. There is a small dimple 1.5 inches above the lower hinge (on the door) that looks like a good entry point for wiring.

There is also no cut-out in the door for a speaker, though the trim panels have a cut-out marked on the back side.

Some questions:
1) Were there 1970 Cougars that had NO door wiring? Any idea what my doors may have come from? Did they actually make different doors for different options (seems an odd way to run a factory)?

2) Has any one added a wiring harness to a un-wired door? Any hints on how to proceed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
839 Posts
A Standard 1970 Cougar that was not originally equipped with Door Lights or Door-Ajar or Door Speakers does not have the Holes in the front of door or in the side of cowl. Decor or XR7 Interior gained you Door Lights. Which just that option would have required the holes in the door and cowl. The Factory Door Light Wiring included the plugs for Door speakers, they were just not used if speakers were not equipped.

Factory Interior Door Trim Panels have the Perforated squares on the inside for the Speakers, but they were only cut-out if Stereo was Ordered.

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
The dimple you are referring to is the spot to use a holesaw to use i think its 1 1/2 inch to cut for the door wiring.Does the car have a hole on the door cowl inbetween the door hinges? If so there is a spot to hook the doors wiring to the wiring harness.I beleive the door itself was a 4x10 for factory speakers,and the door panel on the back should have a spot in the cardboard to notch out for the factory speakers and grills to sit in.If you wanted you can look for a set of decore or xr7 door panels if your car is a xr7.

thanks
pat

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
Whoa, 4x10 speakers went into the package tray. Door speakers were much smaller.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The speakers were oval 4X8 in the door.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I have a pair of 70 door panels in dark green, that have round cuts already made in them. I'd make you deal, to save yours.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Use caution when cutting those holes in the doors, you "might" be able to get a 4x8 in there....but the window crank might just hit it too. Been there, I went with 4x6 and still had to use good judgement when locating them. Good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts