Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 xr7 and plan on dropping a 460 in with a c-6 trans and a detroit locker rear soon with 390 gears.I just restored the rest of the car over the past 2 years it presently has a cleveland with an fmx and 9 inch rear.Any advise on motor mounts,headers trans etc.I already ordered a c-6 transmount might eventually do an overdrive trans.I've also ordered susframe connectors.The motor will be a little over 500 h.p. dONT WANT TO HACK UP ANYTHING BEAUTIFUL 4 COLOR PAINTJOB.:chain: HELP...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Keep in mind I know nothing about conversions but... I think your gonna be hacking some stuff, mainly your shoch towers to get that thing in there. Wouldnt it make more sense to do a smaller more traditional drop in FE big block(390, 428) if your going for kinda original restored? When i hear 460, i think keith black, blown, all out, reinfoced frame, DRAG CAR, etc. If your just dropping a 460 in to say it's got a 460 then ya might reconsider. You just cant say you're gonna drop a 460 in and be done. Did ya build it yet?

Merry Christmas

·
10,972 Posts
The 460 / C6 will bolt in with the swap kit available from http://www.perogie.com or http://www.crites.com No cutting or fabricating is required but a hood scoop will be needed as the carburetor sits so high that it is virtually impossible to use an air cleaner without cutting a hole in the hood. These engines are heavy so a set of aluminum heads is a recommended idea.

Or if you have a junk 1969-70 Boss 429 Mustang or Cougar sitting around you can get all the necessary components from one of those cars to make the swap. :bloated:

·
Premium Member
4,092 Posts
The 460 will fit with out cutting the shock towers. Depending what set of swap mounts you get the hood may need to be cut. I have seen several Cougars over the years that had 429 or 460 swaps. Beleve it or not the spark plugs are easyer to get to on them then with a 390/428. Do some research, Make sure you have all the accesory brackets, Headers and all before you start.
You might think about stroking the cleavland insted, it does weagh much less. That way it will still handle well. If I remember corectly the 460 weaghs about 200 poumds more then a 351C. How ever you go, have fun doing it.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Keep in mind I know nothing about conversions but... I think your gonna be hacking some stuff, mainly your shoch towers to get that thing in there. Wouldnt it make more sense to do a smaller more traditional drop in FE big block(390, 428) if your going for kinda original restored? When i hear 460, i think keith black, blown, all out, reinfoced frame, DRAG CAR, etc. If your just dropping a 460 in to say it's got a 460 then ya might reconsider. You just cant say you're gonna drop a 460 in and be done. Did ya build it yet?

Merry Christmas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts