Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just pulled my tranny out it has the original tag on it it says PHB H C9ZB D210,Is this a cougar transmission or mustang? i belive its an FMX but is it origional ?
Thanks
Aaron

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Looking in The Mustang & Cougar Tagbook, it lists PHB H as an FMX for a 351-4V in '69 but not for a '70. The C9ZB is the engineering number of the tag. What is your cars build date? John

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Sounds right to me.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
So would this be an origional FMX tranny for my 1970 cougar right?
Thanks Alot
Aaron Huffman
According to the code on the transmission tag, it's for a '69 351-4V (BTW, what is the engine code to your car, it would be the 5th character in the VIN). But, not to get down, look somewhere (not sure exactly where on an FMX) perhaps along the top of the transmission case for a partial VIN stamped on it (0Fxxxxxx) and see if it matches the VIN to your car. Good luck. :) John

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
According to the code on the transmission tag, it's for a '69 351-4V (BTW, what is the engine code to your car, it would be the 5th character in the VIN). But, not to get down, look somewhere (not sure exactly where on an FMX) perhaps along the top of the transmission case for a partial VIN stamped on it (0Fxxxxxx) and see if it matches the VIN to your car. Good luck. :) John
I found the numbers 9T0223 stamped in the top of the case where the case bolts to the bellhousing. right above the bolt stamped in.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I found the numbers 9T0223 stamped in the top of the case where the case bolts to the bellhousing. right above the bolt stamped in.
9T0223 would be out of a 1969 Mustang built in New Jersey. Your transmission is not original.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
So by now you've figured out it's not original.
Another tidbit is that 1970 FMXs had the special shift lever for the lockout rod that went to the steering wheel column. The 69 would not have had that so if the Prev Owner had changed the shift lever out that would be a good thing!

Otherwise there is practically ZERO difference between the PHB series in 69 and 70.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts