Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there, i recently purchased a 1970 cougar eliminator, auto, 351C 4V which is rebuilt. it is all original numbers matching with working AC. the car is 99.9 percent rust free, houndstooth interior is original and mint. and the original paint was white. it has recently been sanded and primed for paint and the bumpers have been rechromed. magnum 500 wheels. the owner is a wealthy gentleman who has a bunch of cars and didnt have any interest in finishing this so he sold it too me for 6 grand. hes had it for 20 years. soooo two questions.

fist off, once i paint it up with a quality paint job how much could it be worth? its not all shiny new but everything is pretty much mint it just doesn't shine like it was just made.

and when i repaint it should i go with the original white, i like the white but i really like the competition green. but im also interested in keeping the value so what do you think?

thanks very much.

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
Get a Marti report. That will prove what color and give you the facts about it. I think that for value the original color would be best. But, it is your car and you should be happy with it. Using a Eliminator color should not hurt much.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Do you have anything that proves the car was white? Marti report? Eminger report? Original window sticker? What is the color code on the door data sticker?

I question the car being white, it could have been, just not real likely. More likely is that the car is Pastel Blue. Since the exterior of the car is now in primer you are probably onlty seeing some original color in a few spots. And in smaller areas PAstel Blue will look like white.

As to value and paint color. You need to know what your plans are for the car. If there will be a for sale sign on it as soon as you finish bolting the last piece on after getting it painted I would stick to whatever the original color was. If you are planning to own and enjoy the car for the next 10-20 years then paint it whatever color you like.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Do you have anything that proves the car was white? Marti report? Eminger report? Original window sticker? What is the color code on the door data sticker?

I question the car being white, it could have been, just not real likely. More likely is that the car is Pastel Blue. Since the exterior of the car is now in primer you are probably onlty seeing some original color in a few spots. And in smaller areas PAstel Blue will look like white.

As to value and paint color. You need to know what your plans are for the car. If there will be a for sale sign on it as soon as you finish bolting the last piece on after getting it painted I would stick to whatever the original color was. If you are planning to own and enjoy the car for the next 10-20 years then paint it whatever color you like.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
I would agree with Randy, in 1970 white was not one of the 6 standard Eliminator colors. It is probably paint code N, Pastel Blue. If the paint code on the door tag is not readable, if the buck tag is still in place that should have the standard paint code on it. If you provide the buck tag information we can decode it for you.

This is a photo of an original paint Pastel Blue 1970 Eliminator.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Here is a pic of the 70 Boss 302 6 digit DSO Cat. Special order Wimbledon White. I'm just finishing it up! Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Classic car

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
Here is a pic of the 70 Boss 302 6 digit DSO Cat. Special order Wimbledon White. I'm just finishing it up! View attachment 32298
Sweet, I too like White 70 Cougars, just for the record though, for 1970 the name of this color was just "White". Mercury liked there own names for colors. The same color was also called "Polar White" Ford used Wimbledon White as well as "Knight White.
My window sticker for my White 70 XR-7 calls the color as White as well as my Marti Report. Bill, whee did you find that White Boss Eliminator? Please share some about it when you have time.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
The refference to the white was for the correct color to paint :ie color code for "Cougar101" to do his car.

The Marti report list DSO as 518013 "Special Paint, Ford # below

"This Eliminator was painted White per owner"

One of 383 1970 Cougar Hardtop's w/ this paint code...

Cat belongs to a guy here in Colorado. The car was purchased by him over 15 years ago.

Details: Black & White Houndstooth interior, console, P.S. P D.B. AM radio, decore, tinted glass and H.D battery.

The motor was replaced at approx 23K miles in 1982. I'm guessing warr. replacement of short block. The dash panels we swapped out w/ XR-7 stuff, and a few other things done. The Cat did not have a pass mirrior either.

Now here's a very interesting and almost unbelieveable story.

I had posted on Boss302 site years ago asking about the car. I recently got an e-mail from person in Caifornia stating he had the original block. After verifying VIN# on block and other details, the block is on it's way back home. It will be reunited w/ the car this fall after he has driven it for the 2013 season. (The owner drives his cars and wanted this as a driver restoration, so not everything is correct, or on the car, like smog)

So after 30+ years the original block has been found, and will be rebuilt, and reunited with it's original Cat!

That's a 9 lives story!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
agree with Randy - I went black on mine knowing I was going to keep it. I hate yellow, but I thought long and hard before commiting to changing the color. If I were going to sell it - I would have went original. Paint costs to much money to re-do it, so choose carefully. See what the Marti report says first - then decide

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Sweet, I too like White 70 Cougars, just for the record though, for 1970 the name of this color was just "White". Mercury liked there own names for colors. The same color was also called "Polar White" Ford used Wimbledon White as well as "Knight White.
My window sticker for my White 70 XR-7 calls the color as White as well as my Marti Report. Bill, whee did you find that White Boss Eliminator? Please share some about it when you have time.

Yes, I knew that. I even had a piece of Mercury literature in my collection (sold it all) that said they were going to get rid of the longer names for paint. No "Wimbledon White", just "white" (Eliminator colors were an exception I guess), but I'm still glad at least two people here (including me) know there's no t in Wimbledon. Not thut om a good spellar ore anything

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
I just looked in my copy of "Cougar, By the Numbers" There were 4988 standard Hard Tops painted "White" (Paint code M). And 283 Special Paint.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The refference to the white was for the correct color to paint :ie color code for "Cougar101" to do his car.

The Marti report list DSO as 518013 "Special Paint, Ford # below

"This Eliminator was painted White per owner"

One of 383 1970 Cougar Hardtop's w/ this paint code...

Cat belongs to a guy here in Colorado. The car was purchased by him over 15 years ago.

Details: Black & White Houndstooth interior, console, P.S. P D.B. AM radio, decore, tinted glass and H.D battery.

The motor was replaced at approx 23K miles in 1982. I'm guessing warr. replacement of short block. The dash panels we swapped out w/ XR-7 stuff, and a few other things done. The Cat did not have a pass mirrior either.

Now here's a very interesting and almost unbelieveable story.

I had posted on Boss302 site years ago asking about the car. I recently got an e-mail from person in Caifornia stating he had the original block. After verifying VIN# on block and other details, the block is on it's way back home. It will be reunited w/ the car this fall after he has driven it for the 2013 season. (The owner drives his cars and wanted this as a driver restoration, so not everything is correct, or on the car, like smog)

So after 30+ years the original block has been found, and will be rebuilt, and reunited with it's original Cat!

That's a 9 lives story!
Bill,

Special paint cars did not receive the painted sports mirrors. On the invoice it will state "REMOTE CONTROL L/H MIRROR SUBSTITUTED FOR COLOR-KEYED RACING MIRROR" with a retail credit of 2.60 and a wholesale credit of 2.05. My understanding is that the mirrors came in from the vendor painted, since this would be a special paint the ordering system would not allow the notifications to the vendor that supplied the painted mirrors even though on a non Eliminator this would have been a standard color.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I typed wrong on the #of special paint it is 283 as Badcatt (Neal?) stated. Not 383.

Marti report goes on to say only 5 w/ paint and trim codes. 146 w/ engine/trans code.

Dave, very interesting about the mirrors. Never heard that one (awsome trivia Q), but makes sense. Always wondered, so muchso, I really looked hard at the door to be sure it was original, and had no holes repaired.

These Cats have so many stories to tell, sad no human speaks the language of old "Cat Tales"!!!

·
Premium Member
4,133 Posts
Being this is a Cougar color, Mercury may have had a work around for the sport mirrors. Non Cougar Colors would have been a problem.

·
Registered
236 Posts
That's cool. We are going to paint a Boss 302 Mustang tomorrow for a friend. He bought the car recently and it did not have the original block with a bunch of phone calls and word getting around on Boss forum, it to will be reunited with its original block. It will cost him an arm and a leg, but just the story itself is worth the price of the block.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts