1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Car Sold, it is going to be part of a really great collection right where it should be. Sorry to see it go but I am a driver not so much a looker. As far as 68 CatFan ....... you don't have a clue.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Agree completely. Cars restored to that level are really reference vehicles and become the high water mark. Rarity+condtion= high price. Some may call that ridiculous, but you get what you pay for. Super drag pac Boss 302's dont pop up every day. I expect my 70 428SCJ Eliminator to bring a high price at BJ, commensurate with its concours restoration and rarity.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Congtratulations Kurt. I thought the car was pretty steep myself but it's easy to be an airchair sales critic and not know a damn thing you are talking about ;) Glad to hear it will be well cared for in a collection and on an even brighter note I wonder if this is part of a growing trend that is showing value back in the muscle car genre again.

Would be nice. Well sold and congrats again.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Agree completely. Cars restored to that level ....
And this one wasn't restored, but a survivor, which I think raises the value substantially. They're only original once.

Kurt - did you ever get "proof" that the dash burlwood was dealer or factory installed? That, in my uneducated opinion, would hurt the value if it couldn't be proved - at least by the cost of getting the camera case parts to make it otherwise "correct" (small potatoes in the scheme of things on this car).

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
I think for an orignal car in that condition and that milage, the car that it is, a good price and well bought.
I kept just about all your pictures and was really surprised at the overspray at the hood. It wasnt a Maverick for petes sake. You would think they would take a little more pride in there work!
Not to pick on Cats fan, he is a fan, but you really are way off. Try buying parts to put it back date code correct.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Some sucker paid 100k for a car that'll sit in a garage and never grace the road again and I'm the idiot? Aren't cars supposed to be driven?
This is why when people go to sell their classics now they try to tell you it is"1 of something". Rarity. Alot of suckers out there for that word.
Put a different engine in a couple hundred cars in a given year, then flash forward 40 years later and collectors are readily dropping 6 digits on one of these cars. Thats just stupid.
You all realize this kind of crap has filtered down. Hell, Mach 1s are drawing 30-40k now. Hardly ever see any mach1s or boss 302s on the road anymore. Maybe a 6 cyl mustang here and there.
Why? Because No one wants to drive their 40+thousand dollar classic down the street.
Good guys-> Hobbyists and enthusiasts
Bad guys-> Collectors and investors.

The problem is I've got too much of a clue. Whether it's 1 of 30 or 30,00 it's still just an engine wrapped in sheetmetal. Put some go-go juice in them and they all do the same thing.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Some sucker paid 100k for a car that'll sit in a garage and never grace the road again and I'm the idiot? Aren't cars supposed to be driven?
This is why when people go to sell their classics now they try to tell you it is"1 of something". Rarity. Alot of suckers out there for that word.
Put a different engine in a couple hundred cars in a given year, then flash forward 40 years later and collectors are readily dropping 6 digits on one of these cars. Thats just stupid.
You all realize this kind of crap has filtered down. Hell, Mach 1s are drawing 30-40k now. Hardly ever see any mach1s or boss 302s on the road anymore. Maybe a 6 cyl mustang here and there.
Why? Because No one wants to drive their 40+thousand dollar classic down the street.
Bad guys-> Collectors and investors

The problem is I've got too much of a clue. Whether it's 1 of 30 or 30,00 it's still just an engine wrapped in sheetmetal. Put some go-go juice in them and they all do the same thing.

I feel ya, 'Catfan ~ I'd drive mine too if I had one. It always strikes me as odd that people cringe at paying $30-40k for what is essentially classic car "art", but they have no problem dropping $30-40k on a modern cookie-cutter car or truck. Personally, I'd rather drive a piece of art than the same thing everyone else drives. (cough*says the guy driving a mustang*cough*cough) >.>

No one hesitates to drive thier $35k Prius or Lexus or what-have-you. And they do it every day! Sure, the classics don't all have AC / PS / PB, or ride as cushy as a new car. And I guess that is why they don't get driven as much. Maybe people just don't want to "suffer" by driving their classic? /shrug

But back on topic - excellent car and congratulations on the sale Kurt!

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts

To each their own. There's plenty of room in the hobby for all types of collectors. If someone has the money and will keep this car in its original condition by storing it rather than driving it, folks down the road a couple of decades will have a wonderful opportunity to see exactly how the Cougar originally was. Most of us now over-restore our cars and give people an unrealistic idea of what the cars were like.

Just because you don't think the buyer made a wise choice, doesn't mean he's an idiot. Most people with $100K to drop on a car aren't idiots or they wouldn't have that kind of money to begin with.

For what it's worth, not everyone invests $40K or more in a restoration and parks it. I've put 10K miles on my car since it was completed in 2010 and I've enjoyed every one of them. Got a couple of small chips and the undercarriage isn't nearly as pretty as it was when it was fresh but who cares? I restored it once and I can do it again. This Eliminator can't be original again if it gets damaged by driving it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm in the minority on this, I know. I'm probably the only one here that hates Barret Jackson. I think what they do is bad for they hobby. High end cars go up in price... eventually the low end follows, albeit slower.
Most of the guys in the group I run with have sold their classics. They completely have left the hobby behind due to cost. Frustrates me.
Now, when I look out in the parking lot I see a 69 AMX, a 70 chevelle and a 69 firebird surrounded by a plethora of souped up toyotas and nissans. Most twenty somethings are into ricers and not classics.
I don't know that the next generation will fuss over these cars like we do. They didn't grow up with them like we did. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I'm in the minority on this, I know. I'm probably the only one here that hates Barret Jackson. I think what they do is bad for they hobby. High end cars go up in price... eventually the low end follows, albeit slower.
Most of the guys in the group I run with have sold their classics. They completely have left the hobby behind due to cost. Frustrates me.
Now, when I look out in the parking lot I see a 69 AMX, a 70 chevelle and a 69 firebird surrounded by a plethora of souped up toyotas and nissans. Most twenty somethings are into ricers and not classics.
I don't know that the next generation will fuss over these cars like we do. They didn't grow up with them like we did. *sigh*
No you are not. In fact I had a letter, which Mustang Monthly printed, where I said pretty much the same thing a couple of years back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Spartikus,
There are serious collectors that will still pay top dollar for the best of the best. It seems we have two types of high level collectors; those who like restored and those who like original condition. Both will pay top dollar for the right car to fill spots in their collection. Unfortunately I don't see where the average Joe car either original or restored have made much a rebound yet. The cars $10-$50K appeal to more of upper middle class that still are seeing effects of the recession. In many cases their income has dropped (commissions, bonuses ect). The top 1% income earners have seen their income rise. They have been through the stock market volatility, interest at banks are almost non-existent so what do you do with the wealth that you accumulate? There are some people that feel really rare, well documented muscle cars will always have value.
Well this is my take anyway.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Kurt,

Congrats on the sale!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And this one wasn't restored, but a survivor, which I think raises the value substantially. They're only original once.

Kurt - did you ever get "proof" that the dash burlwood was dealer or factory installed? That, in my uneducated opinion, would hurt the value if it couldn't be proved - at least by the cost of getting the camera case parts to make it otherwise "correct" (small potatoes in the scheme of things on this car).
I guess the only unquestionable proof I would have is if I had the original purchase order from the dealer...... which I don't have. The owner's best friend in the day was with the owner when he took delivery and stated that is exactly how it delivered. The friend had a z28 Camaro and they hung out together all the time. He went with him in 1972 to get the 8 track installed at CMC stereo and said that he would have been involved had they done any mods to the car. His nephew also stated the car did not change since the delivery. Both are still around the area.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

When I was referencing the fact that you don't have a clue, you stated: "I live 20 minutes from that car. It has been for sale for years. Ridiculously overpriced..." I first listed the car in Hemmings around March and I'm pretty sure that does not equate to years. But I really don't get your logic, if it is "just and engine wrapped in sheet metal" why would you be involved in this forum? I guess the same thought process could be put in art. Why should a Monet or Picasso be worth so much money? They are just oil on canvas.

I have a lot of respect for those who appreciate and preserve muscle cars. There is quite an expense involved in storing, maintaining an original piece of automotive history. Future generations will get an opportunity to see a car in it's original state. I'm with you... I think most cars should be driven and I really like to drive mine, that's why I sold the Cat. I was afraid something might happen to the state of the car that cannot be reversed. You can only have the original paint one time and if I was driving this car in Edwardsville and someone ran into me I would feel like an idiot. In my opinion this car should be preserved not driven. Just like you don't put a Picasso painting in direct sunlight, it might look better for a moment but will start fading fast.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
As information, Kurt's former car is in the September 2013 edition of Muscle Car Review. They did get the numbers wrong though as it is not one of five otherwise a very nice article.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts