Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having problem with timing advance.....going way past 30 degrees. New springs didn't help. Any one know whats up?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
New springs??? What are you running for dizzy? Did you have it out? Sounds like you are off a few teeth......double check TDC/correct stroke/pointing to #1. Also verify plug wires/correct order.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Check for slipped a harmonic balancer.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
put a vacuum gauge on the engine and advance to best vac @ idle---shut off engine and wait 5 min ---if it bogs when you try to restart , retard a couple of degs -take it for a spin---if it doesn't ping , leave it alone
doctordesoto

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks but all is in order...my bro had the car since 70...its his baby. TDC is cool...wires cool...sensor instead of points cool. New springs in distributor made a differenc but still goes past 30 degrees when reved...should not be doing that. He just told me that the vacume advance could use a thin ruber slipover bringing it out a little. When he shuts down the vac-advance with an alen wrench it doesn't exceed thirty by much. Any help would be greatly apreciated...thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can they slipp when its reving? already put tighter springs. rubber boot for vac-advance could make a difference. puzzling. goes way past 30 degrees when reved. what is max degree for 1970 351 windsor?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Agree w/doc and Bob - you can test your balancer by drawing a mark from the ring edge to the center piece and see if it's "walking" on you - the ring will slip and not line up. If it's original it might be time to swap it anyway. Is there a chance the plate inside the dizzy has an issue and hosing up the sensor?

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Some factory distributors go way past 50* total.
I use an adjustable vacuum advance and weld up the advance limiting slot to limit total advance to around 36-40*

If you have a stock cam, Use a stock thick spring and a weak spring. Adjust to 10* initial.

Or you could buy an aftermarket distributor that has an easy adjustable advance curve.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
put a vacuum gauge on the engine and advance to best vac @ idle---shut off engine and wait 5 min ---if it bogs when you try to restart , retard a couple of degs -take it for a spin---if it doesn't ping , leave it alone
doctordesoto
Thanks good stuff

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I use an adjustable vacuum advance and weld up the advance limiting slot to limit total advance to around 36-40*

If you have a stock cam, Use a stock thick spring and a weak spring. Adjust to 10* initial.

Or you could buy an aftermarket distributor that has an easy adjustable advance curve.
Now that makes sense thanks

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
As Art talked about, The distributor timing slot has two positions. When you had the distributor apart, the timing lobe for the points that is mounted to the plate the springs mount on, can be dropped in 180* and will give you two advance slots. One will be more than the other. These slots can be welded up and shaped to only go so far. You can experiment with tape to build up the area till you get the advance you want and then cut the tape off and measure it. Weld up the area ti match the thickness of the tape and your done.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
You can experiment with tape to build up the area till you get the advance you want and then cut the tape off and measure it. Weld up the area ti match the thickness of the tape and your done.
Or use a degree wheel attached to the timing lobe/reluctor shaft. 1 degree distributor = 2 degrees crankshaft

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Hey Art,
Can you give more detail to how this is done, sounds interesting.
Sure!
Use a degree wheel that is commonly used to degree camshafts. Clamp the distributor in a vise, figure out a way to hold the lower shaft stationary. I drilled out a short 1" bolt to slide over the reluctor shaft, then the degree wheel would drop over the 1" bolt and be secured by a 1" nut.
Fashon a pointer from an old coat hanger, clamp to the vise with vise-grips, clamp or whatever.
Move the reluctor shaft and read the degrees of movement from the wheel.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sure!
Use a degree wheel that is commonly used to degree camshafts. Clamp the distributor in a vise, figure out a way to hold the lower shaft stationary. I drilled out a short 1" bolt to slide over the reluctor shaft, then the degree wheel would drop over the 1" bolt and be secured by a 1" nut.
Fashon a pointer from an old coat hanger, clamp to the vise with vise-grips, clamp or whatever.
Move the reluctor shaft and read the degrees of movement from the wheel.
Wow, super crafty!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

art where do I buy it how much ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New springs??? What are you running for dizzy? Did you have it out? Sounds like you are off a few teeth......double check TDC/correct stroke/pointing to #1. Also verify plug wires/correct order.
what is [dizzy]? BEEN AROUND A LONG TIME....NEVER HEARD THAT WORD.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts