Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello I recently pulled my 351w motor out for rebuild im restoring a 1970 mercury cougar coupe with auto FMX transmission. The car had alot of things done to the motor edlebrock intake racing cam etc. Well I took the torque converter out and it was smooth with the numbers 2.28 writtin with marker on the front. And im wondering if this is stock? or maybey a stall converter?
Thanks
Aaron

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Looks stock to me, but I am no expert on AT's. I do have a 351W/FMX sitting on a dolly in the driveway I am going to seperate in the next few days though. What is the diameter of the converter? I can at least measure mine and compare with 'ya.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
12 is likely factory, or close to factory stall speed. If the engine is built up, you will want to get a converter to match the cam. Do you know the part number or grind on the cam?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no clue it has and edlebrock torker 2 intake mallory ignition, double valve springs 4bbl carb and a REALLY loud idle camshaft its an edlebrock cam it has 1206 cast in the cam.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Looks fairly puffy like a stock one....I don't see that cam part# listed on the eddy site? Wonder if that's just a casting code or something. Is it on the other end i wonder?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The part number should be stamped or engraved on the back side of the cam. If not, the only way to find the specs is to put it in the engine and "profile" the cam with a mic and degree wheel.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what do you mean by the back side of the cam? and I took it to a shop and they said the cam was like new.
Thanks guys
Aaron

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
The flat part that faces the rear of the car, the end that you would stand it on if you were to store it upright.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts