Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been the owner of this convertible cat for 41 years and the original basic steel wheels were replaced with aftermarket American Racing chrome wheels ~30 years ago. I have been told that keeping the original steel wheels and hubcaps might be important to return the car to original condition...someday. I'm wondering if it is worth keeping these and take up garage space or if I chuck them. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are they the faux wire wheel covers from an XR7, or the other ones from a Standard? The XR7 ones are probable worth saving if the car may get a show car worthy restoration some day. If it's not an XR7 or the OEM styled steel wheels/trim rings, or it's never going to be a show car - put them on eBay or Craigslist.
Others may have different opinions.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Are they the faux wire wheel covers from an XR7, or the other ones from a Standard? The XR7 ones are probable worth saving if the car may get a show car worthy restoration some day. If it's not an XR7 or the OEM styled steel wheels/trim rings, or it's never going to be a show car - put them on eBay or Craigslist.
Others may have different opinions.
It's unlikely but possible the originals were the Rallye hub caps which are very valuable if in good condition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, these are basic steel wheels that accept a standard Cougar hubcap--not the styled wheel or spoked wheel. I do know that they have to be deep dish to fit the front disc brake calipers, but other than that, nothing specific to Cougar. Sounds like I can chuck them....

·
Premium Member
4,121 Posts
No, these are basic steel wheels that accept a standard Cougar hubcap--not the styled wheel or spoked wheel. I do know that they have to be deep dish to fit the front disc brake calipers, but other than that, nothing specific to Cougar. Sounds like I can chuck them....
Do not chuck them, Sell them. There are people who want them. Call West Coast Classic Cougar and see if they may want them.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Do not chuck them, Sell them. There are people who want them. Call West Coast Classic Cougar and see if they may want them.
Where do you live. I would be intrested in the steel wheels. Send photos & price.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have been the owner of this convertible cat for 41 years and the original basic steel wheels were replaced with aftermarket American Racing chrome wheels ~30 years ago. I have been told that keeping the original steel wheels and hubcaps might be important to return the car to original condition...someday. I'm wondering if it is worth keeping these and take up garage space or if I chuck them. Any recommendations?
Don’t toss them at least sell them to somebody that wants them.
I have the same situation steels were stacked up but a spare trans and some Toyota wheels stole their spot. I figure if I paint the car it’s not rolling on my
Torque thrusts and good tires .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where do you live. I would be intrested in the steel wheels. Send photos & price.
IMG_0104.JPEG

I live in the Denver metro area. I only have 3 wheels as the fourth was damaged by a pothole when I decided to replace these. Make an offer if you are interested-- we will need to figure out shipping if you don't live nearby.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts