Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was working the front steering components this afternoon on my project Cougar, taking apart the gear box from the frame rail, power cylinder, control valve, etc and in the process of separating the control valve from the pitman arm I crushed and bent the threaded ends on the ball stud. I noticed online there are kits that replace the ball stud and come with a new rubber dust shield, clamp, screws and gaskets. Is this something that breaks commonly? Is this a task that anyone with patience can take on to replace the ball stud inside the control valve?

I have 1970 shop manual and after reading and looking at the diagrams it looks like the whole control valve will have to come apart in order to replace the ball stud. It doesn't look over complicated but I've never done one before. My car skills are okay but I'm in the junior category. Is this something that I should take on? Anyone have further documents/instructions/techniques to replace this part?

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
It wears out pretty commonly, since it moves around so much.
You can use an online tutorial or you can send the whole control valve to be rebuilt, or swap it locally to a parts store as a core, and then just put the new one back on the car.

I give it about a 6 on the junior mechanic difficulty meter, out of a 10. But, you gotta stop hitting things with a BFH and think your way around them or you're going to cost yourself a lot of unnecessary expense and aggravation.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
A tie rod end puller will pop the ball stud loose from the pitman arm. The tool Bad69cat shows is for removing the pitman arm from the steering gear. Tie rod end puller is its smaller brother. I loosen the nut on the ball stud and unscrew it enough to allow a small recess above the end of the stud which helps to locate the puller. The ball stud can be pressed out while the steering linkage etc is still in the car by using long extensions and a ratchet handle.

As mentioned, the control valve is fairly easy to rebuild. While you're at it, It is a good lidea to replace all the seals and sleeves in the valve. Also make sure there are no burrs on the edges of the valve spool, which can cause the spool to stick and cause problems.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
OOps wrong link but they sell either one reasonable

1 - 5 of 5 Posts