Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have a 1970 Cougar with a 351-W under the hood mated to a 4-speed top-loader transmission. I'm looking for ideas to replace the worn 4-speed with a swap-in 5-speed. The motor is built to the hilt and puts out about 500 Horse/ft-lb. Any suggestions for a 5-speed that will fit directly in (without altering the body) and still take the power the drivetrain can put out? I've considered a Tremec, but I understand it usually requires altering the transmission tunnel.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am running a tremec 3550. It fits with no modification and holds up well to my power. They can be found real cheap used.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I am running a tremec 3550. It fits with no modification and holds up well to my power. They can be found real cheap used./QUOTE]

I have installed a 3550 tremec in my 70 vert with that same driveline kit, it went in like a dream. Did not cut up anything and the guys at driveline were very helpful. Sal

·
Registered
32 Posts
Look at this kit - as i understand it you will have to open up the hole for the shifter a bit - not matter what, but it's pretty dang close to fitting.

http://www.moderndriveline.com/catalog/custom_mustang_sb_T5_kit.htm
I've done business with Modern Driveline, and they were great! Good kits, parts and service, always a phone call away. I put a TKO 600 in my '71 Mach1, 351C stroked to a 428. And just bought the kit to convert my '79 Ranchero to a 4 speed from a Torino. I used the '96 Cobra cable kit for the clutch set up, and it worked good, the whole thing is probably easier than you think as they have parts for everything! You will like the 5 speed....I think...
Andy

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
So I have a couple of related questions (for my own "some day").

What application tremec 3550 would you go looking for, for a "cheap used"?

Using an adapter plate (I see McLeod makes one, $230 at Summit, will these transmissions (Tremec 3550, TKO 500/600) bolt right up a stock bellhousing, use the stock clutch (10 spline small block), throwout bearing and mecahincal linkage all stay the same? I know they sell a specialty TKO with a 10 spline, guessing used or "regular" unit input shafts are not 10 spline.

Crossmember/trans mount, easiest/cheapest solution?

And finally, which unit allow a mechanical speedo and which do not?

I would probably be of the mind to homebrew a kit with a new or used trans, unless a full on kit would be competitive.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I've heard plenty of good about them as well. I almost bought a Tremec from a guy a few weeks back - just in case I decide to ditch the AOD and go back to a manual....kinda craving one now!

·
Registered
32 Posts
So I have a couple of related questions (for my own "some day").

What application tremec 3550 would you go looking for, for a "cheap used"?

Using an adapter plate (I see McLeod makes one, $230 at Summit, will these transmissions (Tremec 3550, TKO 500/600) bolt right up a stock bellhousing, use the stock clutch (10 spline small block), throwout bearing and mecahincal linkage all stay the same? I know they sell a specialty TKO with a 10 spline, guessing used or "regular" unit input shafts are not 10 spline.

Crossmember/trans mount, easiest/cheapest solution?

And finally, which unit allow a mechanical speedo and which do not?

I would probably be of the mind to homebrew a kit with a new or used trans, unless a full on kit would be competitive.
Sir, I can answer some of these questions, hoping memory is there...Adapter for the Tremec. TKO's get a bell housing, clutch to fit either spline sizes, and yes you can use factory levers and throw out bearing linkages, or, convert to a cable sytem. If you have all your pedal and linkages, you wont need to convert to cable or hydraulic, which is available also in some applications. They have a switch for reverse lights, and a place for mechanical speedo, and also a electronic speed sensor for ECM management. Hope this helps....Andy

·
Registered
107 Posts
What about the console? Could the console for an auto car be used with this conversion? I have a 69 XR-7 I would like to do this to but I don't want to lose the console or have to buy a new one.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
You can look into www.Keislerauto.com and call for a quote. I just ordered a whole kit from them last week to convert my 70 from an FMX to a TKO-600. There's a four week wait delivery time right now, but my kit is coming with everything needed to convert it the entire way 100%, including a new drive shaft. They'll tell you that you will have to cut about a dollar bill size amount out but they include a template. It wasn't cheap, but since yours is a manual already... I'd imagine it would be considerbly less since it's not a full conversion. I'm sure if you know what you're doing you can do it for less. One benefit I see about going with this company is... for those who have never tackled anything like this before, it totally remove's the frustration of researching, guess work, and everything will work in the end. If you're military, let them know and they'll give you a discount too.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am running a tremec 3550. It fits with no modification and holds up well to my power. They can be found real cheap used.
Where are you finding these cheap in which cars? I have an FMX right now what do you need to do the convertion? Thanks for any help on this.

Michael

·
Registered
442 Posts
Mine was not cheap and I've only seen a few on Craigslist since. My vert was a 3 speed so I have everything else that I needed. I changed the sleeve in the clutch pedal to bearings and kept the linkage. If your changing from an FMX you'll need a hydraulic clutch cylinder, a clutch pedal,bell housing and clutch setup. I believe the 1989 to 1993 mustangs are the best swap if your looking for used, but when your looking for a 10 to 20 year old transmission to swap you should probably rebuild it anyway. You can use your automatic brake pedal but the pad will have to be cut to sit beside the clutch pedal.

If you are not sure what you need, I would go with a company that can supply everything and can call for advice to talk to a real human being that knows what a Mercury Cougar is.

A good example of what I'm talking about is speedometer cables. The speedometer cable on my 70 standard broke and for a quick fix I used the cable that came off of my vert since I was still building it. I ordered the replacement cable from NAPA and let it sit until I was ready to install the dash. Long story short the cable will not stay on the speedometer and now I have to pull the dash pad again and reorder the right cable.

When you order everything retrofit from one company, they know what parts fit. SalD

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks Sal you make a lot of good points. I know a lot of what I need but most likley not everything. If I find a transmission on CL then I'll go that rout but I think I might go with a kit.

I was bummed I found a tremic 3550 on CL for $350 and needed a rebuilt but was to late, OH well!

Sal I was wondering who makes your rims on your green cougar and what's the size? Love the look of that thing, you have it setup just right in my eyes!!!!!!

Thanks again for your help.

Michael

1 - 15 of 15 Posts