Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys as you all you I have a 1970 cougar in process of restoration, the motor was recently finished,i figured I would post pics of this beauty, comments wecome.It has a mutha thumpr camshaft, prostar alluminum heads,torker 2 intake, edlebrock carb,hi flow fuel pump, and much more as you can see.
Thanks.

100_2453_00.jpg 100_2458.jpg
100_2454_00.jpg 100_2446_00.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Looks nice. Hope you don't have power brakes with that cam! If yes, you are going to need an auxillary vacuum pump.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan on gettin it dropped in whenever i can get a good week of warm weather here, i still have the engine compartment to be painted haha. But i do plan on using a vacuum pump. Ill post a video when i get it on my homemade engine tester.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I dont have a vacuum pump on mine, and my cam only allows 4.5 inches of vacuum at idle, if that. I did convert the headlight vacuum storage tank under the fender the a storage tank for the brake booster though.

·
Contributing Member
1,011 Posts
Looks great. First thing I would do though is get rid of that Fram filter.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Currently they arent hooked up, but will be doing the electric conversion.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I've been using fram filters for 30 years.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
We need audio when you get it runnin'.... ;>0 Nice!

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Sweet looking piece. Since you asked for suggestions, I would add some cast aluminum Cougar Finned Valve covers. You have already strayed from the stock appearance and upgraded the heads, intake, distributor etc. I kind of think the stock valve covers could use some upgrading as well. Just my thoughts for what they are worth. Below is a photo of what I'm talking about:

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I used Edelbrock signature valve covers on my 393W (I kinda like finned aluminum), but ended since mine went through a few Cleveland winters, I ended up painting them with black, sanding the tops to reveal the fins, then clearcoating with a semi-gloss... Look good now...

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
I used Repo Chrome "Power by Ford valve covers and restored a 72 351 CJ air cleaner(with w 351W snorkel) on mine. I like the "it may be factory" look. There are a lot of ways to detail out your engine to make it one of a kind.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts