Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The metal portions of my inner quarter panels have rusted over a bit from 32 years of leaky weatherstripping (well, they *probably* didn't leak from the factory, but anyway...) and I would like to restore them. I have purchased a can of the correct interior color paint and need some advice on how to prep the panels. Here's what one of them looks like:

The problem is that the metal is textured and if I sand them, they will lose this texture. So does anyone have any advice for prepping these panels in such a way that the paint will stick but the texture will be preserved?

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Find yourself a big plastic tub has to be plastic fill it with a baking soda mix and water little goes along way. attach a negative post from a battery to it then a positive to a peice of stainless steel big peice about five x fiveput it into the water but dont let it touch your part give it a couple of hours and walla no rust. this removes paint as well. keep an eye because you dont want to eat away your part check it often.anode cathode type stuff.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Bead Blast

I've just bead blasted one from a 64 ½ mustang that was in the same condition. I figured I would use this parts car as a guinea pig, before I try this on my vert.

I am selling the part on eBay CLICK HERE to see. I figured if it messed up the texture, I would just throw it away, but it came out like brand new, and the texture is still there and in excellent condition. the picture is kind of dark, but it looks great!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts